Site has peaked my interest

Yes this is true, but your handicap is in the equipment I am using. Does better equipment equal better results ? I always buy the best equipment I can afford plus 30-40% more , that is of course if my wife has not got into my rat hole money ! I have decided on at least a .30 caliber. I like the .308 due to the abundance of ammo. But I need a .300 WM for long range Heavy game. My newest question is barrel length . I have access to a large machine shop and currently designing a custom butt stock using aircraft grade 7075 aluminum . I will cerakote these components.An marry it to a custom forearm.

Thanks for all the information this site has provided me ! From what I read it is a very friendly competitive sport. I kind of lump it together with golf and fishing, both of which are relaxing and are both at the same spectrum for expense and time required to become the best as possible. This sport however, has a handicap for the quality of the equipment required to achieve desirable personal satisfactory results ! It appears that I will probably be spending a little (lots) of money in the the future as I venture into LRH. Only question is how much will it take and how long will it take to understand the rules, jargon and synonyms to be effective and consistent in the future. Who knows where the rabbit hole ends !
Welcome from OH.

We are all nuts. I could be very happy with a Win 70 extreme in 6.5 PRC, 270 Win, 7 Rem mag, 300 WSM with an ARCA rail, decent sub $1000 glass, ammo loaded with basic Forster die set, powder from a +/- 0.1 gr electric scale, tripod, sub $500 binos and a decent frame pack.

What I have is a full custom Win 70 in 300 Sherman with ARCA rail, Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x, crap ton of reloading gear, Whidden dies, SiLK tripod, cheaper 7x binos, and a WPS Axis pack.
Not bad, but I went overboard on the rifle! Then I built another rifle, better optic…..and the addiction continues. My wife says it is better for me than heroin, but she has not seen me shoot or reload! I think the intensity scares her!

Thanks for all the information this site has provided me ! From what I read it is a very friendly competitive sport. I kind of lump it together with golf and fishing, both of which are relaxing and are both at the same spectrum for expense and time required to become the best as possible. This sport however, has a handicap for the quality of the equipment required to achieve desirable personal satisfactory results ! It appears that I will probably be spending a little (lots) of money in the the future as I venture into LRH. Only question is how much will it take and how long will it take to understand the rules, jargon and synonyms to be effective and consistent in the future. Who knows where the rabbit hole ends !
Slight correction, there really is no competitive aspect to Long Range Hunting.

Whatever competition there is, is in measuring our performance against our own performance striving to produce ever more accurate and precise shots as we extend our range; if that makes any sense to you at all.

Never be embarrassed to ask a question, odds are you aren't the first to ask it and if you are then everyone can lean from the answers.

What do you need? A rifle and load capable of sub MOA accuracy and the skills to shoot to that level or better. You can buy the first pretty easily these days but the skill level takes practice under all sorts of varying conditions and making good notes of your results along then with the ability to condense things down and learn from them.

When I was young I was with a family friend driving across a ranch near Newcastle Texas when we spotted a coyote hightailing it out of a wheat field and up a hill.

My friend slowly and deliberately shuts down the truck, grabs a rifle and sets up on the hood getting on the coyote.

Finally he pulls the trigger on the still running coyote and drops him.

I asked, "How did you ever learn to make such a shot, he had to be 800yds out and on the move".

He looks back at me and says, "by missing a lot".

You're going to miss a lot more than you hit as you are learning the game but if you learn from those misses they are just a small investment along the way.

You're also going to learn that reading the wind is the hardest thing of all.

There are some good long range shooting courses available today that we didn't have when I was young and those can be a huge jump start towards becoming a competent long range shooter/hunter so if you have the budget be sure and work some of them in sooner rather than later.

So I made a decision. I know it has been a while since I posted, kinda been lurking you might say ! So I purchased a Weatherby .257 magnum. MK5 . Of course the first thing to go will be the stock, anyone need one ? I just meed some more input, I know it is a barrel burner with 80 grain loads. Might you say anything that will help . THANKS !

Gunz have always piqued my interest but enforced business socialization requiring hitting a small ball with a club seems disappointing. Real nice people here- stuff gets reduced to essential worth by many eager contributors (knowledge harvesting). Hitting a golf ball with a .22LR @ 100 is sort of a challenge & shooting a small rodent with a .22L @ 100 is budget LRH. I shoot most everything with a .22-.250.

Welcome to the entrance of the rabbit hole :) I can assure you, along with many much more experienced members here, that it's very hard to find the exit. It's not only an everlasting hole but also a big maze, but enjoy every step of the way.

Better yet....best advice I can offer is this....head out shooting, leave the gun in a good case...toss it into the closest bush....and drive like Hell in the opposite direction....because a 1 " group is no longer acceptable....this will save you a tremendous expense and frustration......then immediately CALL ME...DONT TEXT HERE! And tell me precisely...where you threw that gun!