single stage vs. turret press

Garrett, No that was not intended as a reply to you at all. In fact if you read the OP's first post there is reference to someone stating the single is less complicated. You stated you knew the difference. If I had wanted to reply to something you said I would have quoted you.. Like you did the part of my post and I did to you in response to you addressing me.

As far as the T-7 and consistency I have had the one for 5 years. (2008) it has loaded 1000's of rounds. If you look at the T-7 you will see it runs in close tolerance with a machined, true flat surface in the rear where the pressure is diverted to true everything up under the stroke. I use the Redding competition dies and have never loaded truer ammo and that includes a few single stages over the years. I was skeptical too but after seeing the machining quality and using it for years I bought another so my son and I could load together. I check seating depth, and run out of ever round and also the sized cases. The .0005" to .0015" TIR is the norm not the exception. I truly like the T-7 and was responding to anyone that says a single stage is easier or less complicated. That is simply not true.

Jeff

take a set of feeler gauges and see how much clearence you have between the reaction pad and the rotating plate. Whatever you see will be doubled, minimum. I can't remember what brand of turrent press it was, but I made a rotating pad for it with a roller bearing setup similar to a roller lifter I used on a race hemi. Really made a difference (the parts came off a junk Vickers flow controll valve)
gary

take a set of feeler gauges and see how much clearence you have between the reaction pad and the rotating plate. Whatever you see will be doubled, minimum. I can't remember what brand of turrent press it was, but I made a rotating pad for it with a roller bearing setup similar to a roller lifter I used on a race hemi. Really made a difference (the parts came off a junk Vickers flow controll valve)
gary

I have bought a As New Redding T7 press. I found that there was some play on the turret and after fixing it I am proudly a Redding fan! This is what Redding had responded to fix it:

"The small amount of defection in the turret has been taken into account in the design. However, if you want to tighten it up a bit, you can hand lap the center bushing length.

Remove the turret & lap the bushing on a piece of 400 wet-or-dry paper taped to a flat surface. A surface plate is the ultimate, but a piece of glass or flat counter top works well too.

Cut several figure of 8's while pressing down evenly on the bushing. Be sure to hold the bushing square to the surface without tipping it.

Then clean and oil the bushing, reassemble and try the turret. As soon as you feel the turret rotation begin to tighten, stop lapping.

It is very easy to cut the bushing too short, so cut and try often.

We recommend you tighten the turret bolt to between 40-45 ft-lbs torque. It is a 5/6 hex socket head bolt.

No tuning of the press should be needed other than keeping everything clean and oiled.

Use a good grease, like chassis grease, under the turret pivot, rear support and on the bushing.

A good petroleum based high pressure lube, like Reddings Original Case Lube is good for the ram and pivots.

Regular engine oil or 90w gear oil are good second choices on the ram & pivots."

Reloader222, is spot on. I talked in depth with Redding about this before I purchased my first T-7. The clearance is accounted for. The trued pad is designed to assure this. The turret is actually at a very slight cant until it is put to work.

I get very low runout numbers, best I have ever produced (.0015" down to .0005") even from a press with that has loaded 1000's of rounds and many large magnums. So I don't know why anyone would feel it is not working well. I am not knocking any of your single stage presses. But I simply love the convenience and accuracy of the Redding T-7. And I check TIR on every one of my precision long range hand loads.

Jeff

Thank you all for your help.
You guys are like questions predator, just waiting hidden until some newbie ask a simple question. And bam! he's shot out with so much answer his head is still spinning...:D
In fact a have one other question, being suicidal i guess, does anyone of you know the RCBS turret, and how it's doing.

Thank you again, and stay alert!

JF

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts