single stage press recomondations

class3nfa

Hey fellas I'm in the market for a new single stage press. I'd like to purchase one that had a big enough throat for loading the Rum's with vld's without finger pinching. I'm looking for quality so price isn't the deciding factor. What are your thoughts? You Edge shooters speak up on this one :D. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks ahead for your time. Brett

My favorite single stage press is my Redding Ultramag. Very tight tolerances, huge front opening, good primer disposal and strong enough to do anything that needs doing at the bench.

Second favorite is the Lee Classic Cast. Lee got everything right on this design and the quality is first rate. Great value.

Not trying to flame anyone but I traded or sold my Forster Co-Ax and RCBS Rockchucker in favor of what I have now.

I have a CO-AX and a Lock N Load, love them both. My father in law has a RockChucker and a Partner love them both. Get the best Your money can buy, and you will be fine..

Thank you gentleman for your insight. I've been to several big outdoor chain stores and haven't been able to put my hands on the Redding Ultramag or the Foster co-ax. I don't mind spending the money I just would like to look at one. Well I can't seem to do that so the next best thing is taking some ones word for it who have used the products. Thanks again for your input

A few years ago I added a Redding Ultramag to my bench. My original thought was I would probably only use it, over my Redding Boss, for the longer bigger cases. After using my Ultramag, I don't think I've used the Boss, since. My dad has an older Texan, turret press that is built like a tank and a newer Co-Ax. I've used it a little and they are nice but I like my Ultramag better and for some reason he uses his old Texan Turret a lot more than his CO-AX.

But, for as much as I like my Ultramag, if I was starting from scratch, I'd probably get a T-7. Not because I think the T-7 is better but because it gives you options a single stage can not. Just something to think about.

I sure like the looks of the redding ultramag press. The opening in the front should make it a little easier loading the big cases too. Thanks again

I sure like the looks of the redding ultramag press. The opening in the front should make it a little easier loading the big cases too. Thanks again

trust me! Looks don't me a thing when your hunting for any piece of equipment. It's how well it functions, and how long it will function. Buy whatever you want, but buyer beware.
gary

Not sure what was meant by that comment but the Ultramag will far surpass any performance expectations the buyer may have. No good way to describe the mechanical advantage or the benefit of the tight tolerances until you actually use one. If I were forced to give up 4 of the 5 presses I have on my bench the Ultramag is the keeper.

I have a redding Big Boss II its frame opening is 4 1/2" The Redding ultramag is 4 3/4". While I have no qualms with the Big Boss II and it does everything I need it to including big ultramag cartridges with no fuss; Its obvious from a price standpoint that the ultramag press is a more expensive bigger robust press.

I have the Big Boss press and would choose it again over the Ultramag for one reason: you can get the automatic slide bar primer feeder for the Big Boss, but not the Ultramag. This primer feeder makes priming cases a breeze and doesn't require a dedicated press just for priming. In my opinion, the other advantages of the Ultramag are minor by comparison. I don't see the need for anything bigger than the Big Boss - it loads 338 magnum cases just fine.

You can get the primer feeder with the T7 as well, so if I wanted to upgrade, I would skip the Ultramag and go for the T7.

I have used an RCBS for years and it was OK until I tried to swag muzzleloader bullets. It was next to impossible with the RCBS. I then bought a Redding ultramag and now I can size the bullets with absolute ease. I hand prime my cases so I'm not famliar with it's priming setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.