Single Shot Rifle Actions

Mostly in the top and sides of the action, the barrel shank on that rifle is
1 1/16" and the action is capable of any cartridge that a Ruger #1 will handle.

Ray Fryar, how consistently accurate is the 45-70 single shot that you built. If I were to follow the rifle plans I would be looking for Sub-Moa or Moa at the least.

Hello All
Hoping for some advice/suggestions. This afternoon I take possession of a No. 1 in 270 Weatherby (NIB). This is my first magnum rifle but not my 1st No1. But with limited experience and some research No1's seem to be toward the bottom of the accuracy spectrum??? Your thoughts?
Do you guys have thoughts on reload recipes? I'll tell you that I really like Swift A frames but have no other constraints regarding components.
Stilts: WOW, what beautiful wood on that great looking rifle. What part of Florida? I have a place in Cocoa Beach

Ray Fryar, how consistently accurate is the 45-70 single shot that you built. If I were to follow the rifle plans I would be looking for Sub-Moa or Moa at the least.
It shoots .800 at 100 YD with 350 gr Sierra hp 405 gr lead and MOA with 500 gr lead, all with IMR 4198 I have not made up a load for the 400 gr jacketed pills I have yet

I have also built 4 of the DeHass Chicopee CF action rifles with each build I modified the design and now have it strong enough for the 308 round the first one was in the 30 WCF cartridge #2 in 218 bee #3 in 350 Legend #4 in 5.7x28 currently building one in 308 Winchester after the first one I designed a method of putting them in a full stock and like it much better. AE4A13CA-155B-42BE-A819-70C680D4E9FF.jpeg8A8069D0-282A-4F96-B3B9-89A9AFD7D7B3.jpeg24E56EAB-3C5D-49FD-8C5F-D577621B28EE.jpeg0B5C702B-1F9D-4D98-ACF3-E3241CAE98F8.jpeg

Thanks, I am somewhat seton using the 300 H&H although I could be convinced to change this. However a 300 H&H should be able to have similar ballistics to a 300 Winchester. I like to be different hence the 300 H&H and a self built single shot. Basically a long way to achieve 300 Winchester ballistics when I could just wuss out and buy a ready-made bolt action with significantly less work.

IME the recent Browning High Walls are superior to the Winchesters. Yes they were made in Belted Magnums.

This is my RMEF 300 H&H that I bought NIB at an auction in 2019 for $500 more than those WRA High Walls. 3/4 moa out of the box.

They do pop up for sale from time to time.

View attachment 196222View attachment 196223View attachment 196224View attachment 196225

These are my favorite actions (Browning) I have used the 1885 and the B 78 Both are made to handle 65,000 psi cartridges. I also use the Sharps for the black powder because of their looks. I don,t know if they are strong enough for the modern cartridges even though look like it, so I am not willing to find out and just stay with 28,000 to 40,000 psi loading's. I love the idea of building my own, but I am as they say, in the autumn of my life and not sure I have steady enough hands any more.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom, thanks for your input and honesty. If I were to build a single shot rifle in your opinion which action would you go with de Haas, Mueller, or Browning 1885 if I wanted to use the 300 H&H for Sub-Moa to Moa accuracy with ballistics similar to a 300 Winchester. I have both the de Haas, and the Mueller single shot rifle books, and I have never worked with or handled a 1885 if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
J E Custom, thanks for your input and honesty. If I were to build a single shot rifle in your opinion which action would you go with de Haas, Mueller, or Browning 1885 if I wanted to use the 300 H&H for Sub-Moa to Moa accuracy with ballistics similar to a 300 Winchester. I have both the de Haas, and the Mueller single shot rifle books, and I have never worked with or handled a 1885 if that makes any difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.