Single Shot Rifle Actions

Thanks again ntsqd, unfortunately I do not have a SolidWorks or similar CAD design program. I was wanting to use this design to make/build a high velocity 300 H&H single shot target/hunting rifle. I would prefer increasing the safety factor than in minimizing the rifles weight. If possible I was going to use a heavy contour 30" barrel similar to a Douglas #7 and carve a mannlicher/international stock. I like building/making things myself (I recently carved 3 full size song birds). I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this idea.

Regards

Outside of wanting to "tinker", the logic escapes me. Numerous high quality single shot actions are available, suitable for any cartridge you couldl imagine.

Are you familiar enough with the math that he used in his analysis to adjust the dimensions and re-run the calcs? If not I think that you'd be better off buying an action and building the rest of the rifle. I can do that math and I'd likely buy an action. Mostly because I'm still working and that is a big project to make in a home shop. I have too many other demands on my time. If you don't have those constraints then I'd suggest more research before committing to the project. A quick scan of gun broker for the Browning single shots known to me didn't show any currently for sale in magnum calibers. I *think* that they were offered in those chambers, I just didn't see any. Same quick scan shows #1's in 7mm Rem and .257 Roy mags.
Then there are rifles like this: https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/amazing-breech-block-50-bmg-rifle/

If tooling is an issue I'll suggest looking at the Gingery books on amazon.

IME the recent Browning High Walls are superior to the Winchesters. Yes they were made in Belted Magnums.

This is my RMEF 300 H&H that I bought NIB at an auction in 2019 for $500 more than those WRA High Walls. 3/4 moa out of the box.

They do pop up for sale from time to time.

IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2511 (1).jpg
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg

Hello, ntsqd I have done some calculations in the Mueller bookView attachment 196624. I increased the dimensions of the 225 Winchester rifle plans by 250% as well as increased the cartridge pressures from 65,000 lbs/in to 75,000 lbs/in. View attachment 196626
[ATTAVH=full]196628[/ATTACH]View attachment 196627 I would like your thoughts and if you think that this is an achievable plan ran through SolidWorks or another CAD program if you haveView attachment 196626 the time. I realize that you are busy and might not have the time.

Regards,
375 Rifleman

I have built Many single shot rifles on falling block rifles designed for magnum cartridges and other falling block actions designed for standard cartridges. there are several falling block actions that come to mind for you interest in the 300 or 375 H&H. The browning 1885 and the Ruger #1 that are available. Three of them were on the low wall browning/Winchester. One of my favorite rifles is A 22 K Hornet on an original 1883 low wall. And some of the magnums were a 7 RM, 7 STW, 300 win mag, 300 STW, 375 RUM, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 425 Express, 458 Win mag for a range of cartridges
And they are all very good shooters and have not given any problems.

They are however difficult and time consuming to build as Shortgrass said but extremely fun to shoot. I have also built 45/70, 45/110 and 45/120 black powder cartridge rifles on these actions
and can vouch for their strength if you want to go this way.

I have always had a love for the falling block action and just went with actions designed to do the job. I have never built one on an aftermarket action so I would not be of any help on their strength.

J E CUSTOM

I'm logged in, but can't open any of those attachments.

I've a ~1920's Steven Favorite in .22LR fitted with a Marble's tang sight and a 17A that is an absolute blast to shoot. I have hit our range's 300 yard gong with it many times and my friends won't allow me to use it in any friendly shooting games. I learned to shoot with one as a boy and as soon as I could afford it I went looking for one. Then I've a #3 in .22 Hornet that I'm underwhelmed with. Came to me with a blued K6 and 450 new, never loaded Win cases. Probably should dig it out and try it again.

Thanks for your input J E Custom, although I want to try my hand at building a falling block single shot rifle I would definitely like to talk or discuss with you about the rifles that you have built.

Regards,
375 Rifleman

I ventured into a small gunsmith shop in Gunnison Co. back in about 1989 while prepping for the upcoming Elk season that winter. I talked with the owner a while who was building a falling block mostly by hand with files and was very impressed with his patience and attention to detail. He showed me a few rifles he had built and the workmanship reminded me of some of the fine guns from Italy and earlier Brownings. I believe the name was Christensen's guns or something like that. I have an early Pierce single shot bolt action that I really like, it's chambered in 6.5x55 AI and achieves (for me) the perfect balance of velocity and cartridge size and a venerable bullet diameter. All to say that single shot rifles require a little different personality to enjoy fully and the premium placed on first shot execution and a degree of practice to reload quickly, all of which can be very satisfying.

Ray Fryar, since a 300 H&H is a bit higher in operating pressures than a base 45-70 where would I need to increase the dimensions to maintain the necessary strength in the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.