Simple Venison

Muddyboots

Pound of chopped mushrooms, 3 full garlic gloves chopped up, wine, salt, pepper, EVOO sauted down to little moisture in Lodge steel pan. Backstrap cut 1" thick, seared quickly both sides, slow roasted on copper mat keeps the "straps" moist and juicy. Sorry no pics, ate them too fast before I realized no pics😂. Wife made smashed potato salad too. OMG burp! Crisp cold Heineken washed it down!!!

Sounds yummy!

Suggested mods:
Rub the meat with fresh fennel, salt & pepper the heck out of it. Let sit for an hour. While you're sautéing, slow roast first in the oven at 140°, ~30 minutes. Then sear in a *very* hot pan using lard or grape seed oil.

Add to your mushroom reduction:
Use butter
1 minced onion
Use port or marsala wine
A pinch (literally) of cardamom and nutmeg at the end.
For color, thinly sliced yellow & red pepper, pink onion and a sprig of parsely.
Edit to add, if you find the mushroom mix is too sweet, add a 1/2 tsp of Red wine vinegar

Wife did not want onions so they are normally there. Did forget to mention 1/4 stick butter was also in mushroom reduction. I really like backstraps clean and pure so little salt pepper rub and that's it. This is done on a gas grill which is why I use the copper mat. Helps immensely. The wine is always a bonus, splash in pan and nice glass to make sure it is ok to use. The green bottle is there to "cleanse" the pallet.😂

the cardamon and nutmegs sounds interesting though for next backstrap foray!

Thanks for suggestions! Mouth back to watering!

Last edited:
C'mon, you know the rules ...

Useless without pictures.gif

😇

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.