Simple one for you pros...

FWIW I have read and "believe" to have witnessed with some of my own loads that if they are too low they can almost have the same effect on brass as a higher end load. Meaning the pressure is not high enough to quickly expand the case and it allows for more movement of the brass rearward in the chamber.

Not a scientist and definitely not studied it but you know about internet information.

I have seen flat primers on light loads as well. Once you get a little hotter the primers look good until you get to the high end. Use caution and go in very small increments to test this though because I jumped up a grain in my 6.5/284 and went from no pressure to knocking the primer out of a new piece of lapua brass. I was still two grains under book max.

Here's another pic with once fired brass...
left..49gr 4831sc..120 hornady...
middle new brass...
right..54gr...
Can you identify the marks on bottom of the neck...
Just enough to grab the finger nail but not stop it when ran across the neck... 0407181327.jpg
Is this a result of too much brass on the neck for my chamber..or just a tooling mark....as all the fired pieces have same mark...and it goes all the way around the neck...

Last edited:
Here's another pic with once fired brass...
left..49gr 4831sc..120 hornady...
middle new brass...
right..54gr...
Can you identify the marks on bottom of the neck...
Just enough to grab the finger nail but not stop it when ran across the neck...View attachment 95495
Is this a result of too much brass on the neck for my chamber..or just a tooling mark....as all the fire pieces have sam mark...
Looks like a tooling mark to me....not a big worry,IMO

I also added to above that the "mark" goes all the way around the neck...
Something I don't need to worry about or something I should get corrected in the chamber...
Obviously turning the neck would get rid of this..but is that a viable fix or thought with such new lapua brass...
I have never turned necks with other rifles...but I haven't seen this with any of the other rifles....

I also added to above that the "mark" goes all the way around the neck...
Something I don't need to worry about or something I should get corrected in the chamber...
Obviously turning the neck would get rid of this..but is that a viable fix or thought with such new lapua brass...
I have never turned necks with other rifles...but I haven't seen this with any of the other rifles....
It is a simple test you can preform to satisfy your curiosity. You can turn a few necks and see if your problem goes away. Do you have a way to measure your chamber neck?

Nope...don't have the tools for measuring the chamber neck..do know it was a PTG reamer....
gunsmith is out of town helping daughter move..won't be back for a couple days....but when he is back he and I will go through what I have and make sure all is good...

Appreciate you boys advice...thx

How many of you guys get your gunsmith to come to your house to check on things......lol....caught him on way home...made him late(r) for dinner........
Anyways....the flatened primers weren't as bad as initially thought..and being heavier brass of lapua gives more to concept that the brass needs more work to fit chamber more snug....
The little ring around the neck he said is from the setback of the barrel from the 260 to the 65284....shouldn't be any issues there either..........as all of you were saying it looked okay...I just wanted to make sure as did the gunsmith.....
So now to load up more and blast at paper.........
Thx guys....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.