simmons optics

Jeff,
Thanks for the info.
Before i knew any better the sight of large objective scopes on rifles used to grab my attention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, now that i am more educated, i cringe at the pages of glossy pictures of large objective "cheap" scopes, aimed primarily at the majority of air rifle shooters, who are as of yet uneducated in the finer points of quality optics.

When i first started rifle shooting back in 1997 (after the British government banned our pistols)i too fell into that trap but a squint through a fellow shooters 6.5-20x40 Leupold showed me how bad the optics were on my cheapo scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif so i quickly went out and bought a Leupold and have not looked back since.
Alas, a shooting buddy of mine still tops his rifles with cheap scopes, his excuse being: Quality optics are not needed on sporting rifles when these ones will do the job.
I try to convert him but he is a firm advocate of the term
"It will do the job", which also extends to his handloading techniques but thats another storey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian.

Ian

Just leave them to their own. They never believe till its too late. I've converted more hunters to good glass on actual hunts late in the day. That way I can see whats out there with mine(as a guide mostly ) and then say shoot that one. They can't see and don't believe me till they look through my scope.( of course I've seen it with my binocs first which is another place not to skimp)

Jeff

"also FWIW its been discussed before but you can't use 50mm of objective with a 1 inch tube. Its just a sellling point thats moot. Strictly FYI"

so with zeis conquest a 40 mm is just as bright as a 50mm?(1" tubes)
(just trying to get an optic education here):)

[quote
so with zeis conquest a 40 mm is just as bright as a 50mm?(1" tubes)
(just trying to get an optic education here):)

[/ QUOTE ]

The Conquest has a 44mm objective, and I assume that the differance between it and the 50mm would be hard to distinguish. I haven't ever looked a 50mm Conquest...sakofan.....I may be wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Would this also be true that the 56 is not as good as the 50 on a 30mm tube and that is why the Schmidt-Bender has the 34mm tube? (Just trying to find out the reliability and best information before I purchase for my 300rum.) When on a tight budget you don't want to do alot of experimenting with that kind of money. (Looking at the Millet 6-25 x 56, Springfield Armory 6-24 x 56, and the Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10 x 56.)Unless there is other options that I don't know of, I searched several posts and was turned away from NCStar (which for the going price couldn't be that good to start with,) but didn't find anything on ATN they are around the same price range with objectives ranging from 60-80 mm, any thoughts?

goose_slayer_wi,
It looks like your thread got "highjacked". But as far as the Simmons go, I would stay away from them. I have seen several in the past go bad, but of course some of top of line ones have too.
Don't skimp on your optics, you may regret it some day.
I have been there and done that!
----------------
Coyote Hunter.

Coyote hunter,
I think im to blame for the highjacking,i got carried away, forgot my forum ettiquet and apologise to both you and goose slayer, and i will second what you say about Simmons
I seem to remember the "Simmons" question coming up some months ago and i thought we had killed it then,but i feel we have done a good deed if we can steer freinds towards better optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

I wasn't trying to highjack by bringing up different brands in the simular price range that the thread was started on , but why start a new thread on the same topic when I haven't seen some of the discussion that is in this thread on any of the others and like goose slayer I'm looking to purchase new optics, and want the best advice that I can get, but I have personal experience with tasco and simmons and I wouldn't put one on my 10-22. I learned quite a bit from some of the other posts about the larger objectives on the 1" tubes b/c that is kinda what I was looking at before I read those posts. Just trying to get as much info as possible, hey it my help goose- slayer out also.

I have a Simmons Aetec, well...kind of. I sent it back for repair or replacement. It wouldn't hold Zero on my 30/06. I hope it does when I get it back. For the Price it is amazingly bright and has a great FOV.

Mr Ranger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.