simmons optics

goose_slayer

i am looking for a new scope for a 223 that i am getting built. i have been looking at a simmons 6.5-24x50 for about $110. i was thinking about getting that or the tasco in the same power for about $90. which one do you think i should buy?

Simmons- far from top of the line. I've been happier with Tasco for sure and that doesn't say much.

also FWIW its been discussed before but you can't use 50mm of objective with a 1 inch tube. Its just a sellling point thats moot. Strictly FYI

Might think about Nikon and the new Weavers. A bit more but worth it in my opinion.

If money is an issue, get the simmons aetec. I think they offer it in a 12x, enough for a 223. While far from top of the line it is simmons top of the line and is not a bad scope for the money. You won't be happy with the optical quality of the ones you mentioned.

Hi Goose slayer,
It sounds like you are paying out for a custom rifle, if so dont skimp on optics. Dig deep into your pockets and trump up for a quality scope in the range of Nikon or even Luepold. Buy a cheap scope and you will regret in the long run and as you get more interested in LRH you will most likely get a quality scope sooner or later, so why not get one now?

In the magnification range you quote the Nikon Monarch is an excellent scope and reasonable money, search this forum, this scope has been discussed in the past.
Get the most out of your rifle with good optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Goose slayer,
It sounds like you are paying out for a custom rifle, if so dont skimp on optics. Dig deep into your pockets and trump up for a quality scope in the range of Nikon or even Luepold. Buy a cheap scope and you will regret in the long run and as you get more interested in LRH you will most likely get a quality scope sooner or later, so why not get one now?

In the magnification range you quote the Nikon Monarch is an excellent scope and reasonable money, search this forum, this scope has been discussed in the past.
Get the most out of your rifle with good optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sightron SII would be a great scope too. These things ROCK!!...sakofan....

Rost,
When refering to the 50mm objective and 1" tube,do you mean that the exit pupil cannot utilize the light gathering capabilities of the big objective? If so i agree that these lower end scopes are marketed on looks rather than performance but would this also apply to quality scopes that offer these combinations?

Ian.

Try A Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 Mildot. I have two of them and I could not tell any difference between them and the Bushnell Elite I had so I brought the Elite back. They sell for $200 bucks at Cabelas.

Ian

Yes I'm referring to exit pupil. It doesn't matter the brand. 50mm( I think there is a more exact size) can be utilized by 30mm tubes or larger tubes. But not be 1 inch tubes.

I have actually seen this comparing scopes at dusk and after dark. A good quality 1 inch tube with 40mm appx objective is as bright or brighter than any 1 inch tube and the 50-56mm objective.

Simply a sales pitch to the un-informed. Of course it doesn't hurt anything either. 1 inch with 40 something and 1 inch with 50 something of the same quality scope- you won't see less with the 50. Though it'll weigh more and probably cost you more as a gimmick.

IMHO, Jeff

I agree with dakor, the Bushnell legend is one of the best scopes for the money. I have 2 of them and 2 of the 4200. There are only 2 things that I like on the 4200 over the legend. The 4200's crosshair is a little finer and has what I call 'semi' target turrets.

"I have actually seen this comparing scopes at dusk and after dark. A good quality 1 inch tube with 40mm appx objective is as bright or brighter than any 1 inch tube and the 50-56mm objective."

what manufactor and model did you compare?
i made a similar comparrison with bushnell banner scopes years ago and the 50 mm scope let me see at least 20min's later than the 40 mm scope both set on 3 power.both with 1" tubes...(i suspect both having equal quality glass)...i couldnt argue that a 44 mm scope is equal to a 50 mm scope because i hvnt compared them....so where is the line at again .40mm???? definetly not.

Sorry, I'm talking quality scopes. Compare my 40?MM Zeiss one inch tube with a 1 inch Leupold and a 50mm end the Zeiss still wins.

When you start back going down to lower quality glass I guess the bigger end might help somehow-- but on the low end glass- its so bad anyway that anything is an improvement. Bushnell Banner is a prime example. Once I realized how bad that glass really was, I got rid of all my low end Bushnells and actually don't own any Bushnell glass at teh moment- though I suspect the Baush and Lomb end may be just fine.

I did do a side by side on a Leupy LPS with 50 mm end and one of my 30 mm tubed Zeiss with the 56 mm end at dark. Hands down the Zeiss won, But I was extremely surprised by the performance of the Leupy. Of course for what the LPS line runs they'd better be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.