silver bullet ballisitc test's

460or338

I was watching about a silver bullet test .It's a old story about a wolf killed 300 people in France 17th century yadyada.But the hunter who shot it from 20 yards was using silver musket balls (probably 19mm or so) .So they wanted to test how a silver bullet would perform on tissue .The gun a 45/70 marlin 22" barrel .first load is cast lead bullet.Penetrates 13" in ballistic jellatin.Now the silver bullet penetrates over 2'.They fired a 3 shot group @ 50 yards the lead group well.The 1 silver bullet was 6" away from point of aim the last 2 were 2" of each other .they said lead grouped better because the rifling twist the lead bullet because it's softs and dig's into it.but the silver was to hard for the rifling to dig into to intact the twist.Dont complete agree with these test first because 300 yrs ago muskets were 17-25mm in bore diameter and a 3 oz silver ball would punch a different hole than a 45/70.Also ift softer bullets are suppose to be more accurate than why does solid bullets aka brass or du etc get good accuracy ?.I probably left a bunch of typos sorry for that :D.

I don't think there was any rifling 300 years ago so why don't they do an accuracy test using silver ball versus lead ball through a smooth bore?

I think this is the only gun they should have used

Category Details - Davide Pedersoli & C.

i think french muskets were even bigger though.I think there conclusion was a crack pot theory anyway .They said that the hunter was paid by the church to import a hyena and trained it to kill people.so the catholic church could tell people it was the devil sent to them for being protestant etc.they also said the hyena is the only mammal with enough bite force to cut your head off (1000 lb's) most powerful bite of all the mammals even bears and lions

I think this is the only gun they should have used

Category Details - Davide Pedersoli & C.

i think french muskets were even bigger though.I think there conclusion was a crack pot theory anyway .They said that the hunter was paid by the church to import a hyena and trained it to kill people.so the catholic church could tell people it was the devil sent to them for being protestant etc.they also said the hyena is the only mammal with enough bite force to cut your head off (1000 lb's) most powerful bite of all the mammals even bears and lions

41" barrel heck you dont even have to shoot just smack them with the end of the barrel:D

Silver bullet, eh?

I wonder if our woofs are are woofs of were woofs?:rolleyes:

Just want 'em to be "was woofs".:rolleyes:

I wonder if silver tipped bullets would be effective?lightbulb

I watched that too the other day. The whole thing appeared ridiculous to me. It seemed like a great show for people that know absolutely nothing about shooting, but for people in the know it will drive us crazy...

I think it was just a wolf 230+ lb range

HuntOfTheGevaudan_62362213.jpg

bunch of different drawings from witness accounts + notice it has a tail ,hyenas dont.Oh yeah 41" was a staindard length on them old muskets

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.