Silly 50 BMG Question

Vettepilot

So, some of you might have seen the various nuts on YouTube that have shot 50 BMG cartridges out of 12 gauge shotguns. If not, have a look, they are good for a laugh.

But, relative to my question here, the barrels DID NOT split or blow up on those shotguns. Now a 12 gauge operates in the +/- 10,000 psi range, and does so out of an extremely flimsy shell casing. The 50 BMG operating pressure is around 55,000 psi. Yet, once again, the 12 gauge barrel survived firing the 50 BMG. (Yes, I realize the 50 BMG brass has room to grow and fire form in the 12 gauge, but in many of the videos they shimmed or taped the cartridge to be a snug fit in the chamber.)

So what's my point in all this? My point is the 50 BMG does not have chamber pressures, bolt thrust, etc., equal in force to a small nuclear device. Guns that shoot the round do not have to be made of some exotic "Unobtainium" metal. So what in the hell justifies the +/- $10,000.00 price tag of the Barretts??? Even Mark Serbu's silly looking single shot with no bolt costs around $1500.00!!

???

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Vettepilot

Well, it certainly won't propel a bullet efficiently, but it does propel it. Keyholed bullets holes seen in various targets.

Still also doesn't explain the truly outrageous prices on the Barretts, with Serbu not far behind.

Well, it certainly won't propel a bullet efficiently, but it does propel it. Keyholed bullets holes seen in various targets.

Still also doesn't explain the truly outrageous prices on the Barretts, with Serbu not far behind.
The velocity is probably next to subsonic I bet. If you want to sleeve 12 ga barrel down to .5" and shot a group make sure you post a vid:D

The point of my question wasn't about the stunt of shooting a 50 BMG out of a shotgun. It was why is a gun that IS made to shoot 50 BMG so incredibly expensive??

Vettepilot

Probably due to permitting, licensing, reporting, and taxing of production of such devices. Also it is not a standard sporter rifle or it would be un-manageable, opposite and equal and all that physics stuff. So different machining tools and such split over far fewer produced pieces. Even shipping will add to it to a small degree. I don't know any of these to be actual reasons. Just spit-ballin.

Again, I am not interested in shooting a 50 BMG round out of anything but a gun manufactured for it. It appears I chose a very bad analogy, as everyone seems to have misunderstood me.

My point was, if a 12 gauge doesn't blow up when the IDIOTS DO STUNTS like shooting a 50 BMG out of it, then the pressures are not such that a 50 BMG chamber and barrel would have to be made of super exotic metals and procedures, and thus be so expensive.

Terrible analogy; my bad. Sorry.

Vettepilot

The 12 guage barrel ISNT experiencing full 50 bmg pressure when the idiots do stunts. Its a parlour trick essentially. If a 50bmg barrel could be made that light weight they would be. Its a .510" hole in the barrel. Some AR barrels are just slightly bigger on the OD of .625". Go look up steel prices between .750" cold rolled and 2" cold rolled and tell us why a 50 costs more. Tell me why my Honda FIT cost less than my buddies F350. Or why a single wide in a park cost less than a 4 bed 3 bath on 40 acres.

Pick up a Barrett 50 BMG and see how much metal it has? Mine is 27 lbs naked!!
So I would believe it is a bit stronger than a 12 ga. I think the brake weighs as much as a 12 ga receiver. Sleeve a 12 ga barrel so that it is the correct dimensions so the shell fits and have the knucklehead try that.

My Armalite AR-50 is 33 lbs. So there's that...
Also, in addition to the above reasons, I think something that has to do with its numbers produced.
It was exactly the same with a Chevy or Buick muscle car with dual exhaust. The muffler that fit the side that was produced for all models ( single exhaust, six cylinder) was dirt cheap because they made millions.
The other one ( which was a mirror image, same amount of material just oriented opposite ) usually was three times the price because there were so few made in comparison. It's a numbers game on number of units they need to sell to break even on R&D and tooling.
Same reason I will ALWAYS pay more for a left hand gun...imho...

Probably has a lot to do with sales volume and the intended market. I would imagine the sales of anything 50 bmg would be miniscule compared to the things we deal in.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.