Signs of pressure?

Funny you mention r700 cause that's what it is.

this type of post pops up at least once every month and its allways a r700 ..

ejector marks and swipes is what you are looking for .. get a magneto speed and check velocity of your workups and youll never have to wonder

Do this primer look like cratering or signs of pressure. This is 30-06 sledgehammer bullet. Ram shot big game. Win std primer. Pics of are 56grn of ramshot. At 57.5 gen there is a slight circular mark on case head.
56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
Also 53grn to 56grn all shot in a 1in group at 100 yds. At 57 gen the shot moved off 1.25 higher n to right. What's your opinions on the primer n where would you go next. Also there was no hard bolt lift on any.

It just looks like the firing pin hole is on the large side allowing the primer to crater. the edges of the primer are still rounded and there appears to be no ejector marks. Velocity is in the ballpark so it looks like you are good to go.

J E CUSTOM

It just looks like the firing pin hole is on the large side allowing the primer to crater. the edges of the primer are still rounded and there appears to be no ejector marks. Velocity is in the ballpark so it looks like you are good to go.

J E CUSTOM
Thank you. That's kinda of what I was thinking but like I said I'm kinda of new to this so wanted to get some opinions from the experience on this site. Can always get answers on here. Thanks to everyone

A outline of the edge of the ejector isn't always a sign of over pressure. Brass flowing into it always is!

JE is spot on from what I see as well. If velocity is in range, no other visible evidence on the brass, no bolt handle lift issue and the primer itself is not flattened at all and edges perfectly rounded; I just see this as a crummy firing pin strike that I am used to from 700's.

If velocity is flatlined between the two charges, obviously go with the lower charge.
Crater or flat primers are not good pressure indicators.

Not best pictures but it doesn't look "cratered". Primer looks flat with normal indent. You could always back down a couple grains or to suggested minimum and compare. I think you are good, but better pics would be helpful

Do this primer look like cratering or signs of pressure. This is 30-06 sledgehammer bullet. Ram shot big game. Win std primer. Pics of are 56grn of ramshot. At 57.5 gen there is a slight circular mark on case head.
56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
Also 53grn to 56grn all shot in a 1in group at 100 yds. At 57 gen the shot moved off 1.25 higher n to right. What's your opinions on the primer n where would you go next. Also there was no hard bolt lift on any.
this is one of the best write up on case presser https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/understanding-pressure

It could be a lot of things. I had a .220 Swift that cratered primers. Took it to the gunsmith
several times and finally gave up. Just started shooting the gun and it was fine until I sold
it.
Zeke

I don't know. I've never had pressure issues with my r700. Of course I started making clovers at 100yr with150gr btsp horndays with 49gr of 4895 at 2700fps for 30 years now so I never tried anything else. Plus I've always figured that if you are making pressure signs your wearing the barrel so I never jacked it up.

56grn-2729fps
57grn-2729fps
It would appear to me that you have more going on here. From what I could see in your photo's, it looks like you may have some primer setback. Are you full length resizing, or are you partially resizing to control your headspace. It looks to me that you may have excessive headspace which can give false pressure signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.