signed with the army today

25-06

Good luck in your career.

Take care.

This is a bit on how I see boot camp and it's operation.

Boot Camp is a rather odd place, not much like it in the civilian world. There's a design and reason for the manner in which its run and administered, some of which you won't know until you're out of boot camp. Just listen up, do your best to follow what's be asked of you, know that you are responsible for youself, your gear and likely your buddies person and gear and that all will suffer some for your mistakes and the mistakes of others. Its not designed to be a difficult place but rather a place where where the "I" (individual) becomes the "WE" (team) and in doing so they generally start out by making it clear that there are no individuals, this is a difficult part for many folks. Once they've broken the individual(s) they can make a team/group and then they make a soldier.

I believe you'll meet people the likes of which you can't imagine, good or bad they'll be there. Take care of your gear and put it away properly or it will be liberated (stolen/pilfered/acquired/borrowed/used/re-distributed/exchanged for a similar but broken item/etc) keep an eye on you gear at all times, some of your stuff will walk and you'll need to find a replacement and probably suffer consequences. Everyone is an example (good or bad), observe what happens to others and take it to heart. Try to look past the moment and see where this particular lesson or example is headed, it'll help with the depressing feeling that things are arbitrary and random, they are not!

Again, Good Luck

[ QUOTE ]
"My first year in the Navy the wages were about $1,600.00/year"

Man you're old ! [image]
001_medium-smiley-081.gif
[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as old as me! I was right at 99 bucks a month. That was a big downer from the $3.50/hr I was making when I went in. But, I was a Nuke, neener, neener, neener /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But, Hey, as Dave says. They were bigger dollars back then. Bought a brand spanking new Corvair convertable for $2400.00. How about them apples!

Thank you for your choice to serve, as well as all of the folks you will meet up with soon. Keep your head about you, learn all you can, and go ahead in life with a feeling of accomplishment.

Your post here will be missed but as has been mentioned, when you get the chance get back and check in on things.

Thank you again, be safe and God Bless.

Good luck in basic. Just remember that they cannot kill you or eat you so hang in there.

Recommend you look at volunteering for airborne too, an extra $100+ a month, and will place you at Fort Bragg probably. Plus Bragg is the cheapest place in the US to buy guns. Great places to shoot also. Camp butner is about 80 miles and has regular Fclass matches also.

RUM is a barrel burner so might want to look at a good 6mm BR or 308 to shoot a lot and barrels go 5000 plus.

BH

I'm a new member to this site. first time on. I just wanted to say "Thank you for serving our country"! I have a lot of respect for you and all the men and women serving. I am trying to get into the reserves in the medical field, but am having some difficulty, they say I am too old, 42.

Thanks again, we all owe you!!

KDL

Thanks for all the best of luck and wishes I have received. I know basic is going to flat out suck, but hey, its only 9 weeks and I'll never have to do it again. It will give me a great sense of accomplishment and pride that I will probly never get by doing anything else. Airborne does not intrigue me. I dont like heights. I am going to fort jackson, SC for basic training, then I'm off to fort lee, VA for my AIT school. I'm going to put in my request to be in fort lewis, WA because its close to home. But I doubt they'll send me where I want to go. They'll put me where they need me, not where I want. But it would be nice because I could drive home on a 3 day weekend and visit my family or hunt or whatever. I just hope I dont get stationed back east. Not what I'm use to for hunting or shooting. Its to thick back there for longer range shooting, unless you go to a 1000 yard match, out here its a lot less hassle to find a place to shoot 1000 yards. Also, I"m use to be able to do all kinds of hunting for animals. I get 2 kinds of deer, elk, bear, antelope, sheep, goats, which i've been on both hunts with family members who drew those tags, all kinds of upland/waterfowl, coyote, and squirrels. You just dont get that kinda mix back east, or the south. I guess I just love the northwest. I'm really gonna miss all the hunting and shooting I can do. All I gotta do is drive 5 minutes and I'm either shooting out to 1150 yards, or in coyote/mule deer territory. My g/f and I are talking about marriage, we have been together for 4 years, so thats another thing thats been on my mind lately. I just really want to build a LR rifle. I was thinking going full out and getting an Allen Mag, but there range is farther then I can shoot. A 300 RUM is still plenty for the distance I have practice at home which is out to 1150 yards, I think a 300 RUM could still take care of a bull elk or bear at that distance. Later on, if I wish in the future, I can always rebarrel to a 7 Allen Mag though. I will also be rebarreling my ruger 77 target, which is now a swift, I want a little 6 BR from all the talk on here. I got to looking into one of them and there ballistically amazing for only burning 30g of powder. I was thinking of a 220 swift AI, but again your burning 45g powder. Thanks again guys, you are all a great group of people, I am glad I became a member of this site.

25-06, don't worry about bieng stationed a long way from home, it gives you a chance to´experience all sorts of stuff you wouldn't if you end up driving home every weekend, if you get sent to Germany, look me up, we have another member (knappy) who just arrived here with the USAF and we'll be catching up soon.
Ref the airborn, i'm not a hieght person my self, but i found jumping out of airplanes no problem, my brain din't compute the height, now put me at the top of a tall building and i hate it.. the airiel asault course was a bitch, as was the balloon jump out of that cage slung under the mini zeppelin, i just grit my teeth and treid not to let anyone see i was scared shitless.
Try and see and experience all you can, fire every weapon you get a chance too, drive everything you get a chance too, get on every adventure training course you can, Take care where you stick your middle leg and watch out for women of weak charachter. that doesn't mean you shouldn't date em, just don't get seriouse with em.
and no matter where you are stationed, take a good look into the local fishing and hunting opertunities.
Pete

Good for you for joining up! Remember to look at the bright side of things (even when everything seems to be falling apart!), and you'll enjoy your stay in the military.

Good luck!

At Fort Lee you are only 1.5 hrs North to Quantico and the VA 1000 yard shoots. You are 1.5 hrs south to Camp Butner and the Fclass matches.

As for rebarreling the Ruger, would suggest another action. Almost no one shoots the ruger actions. Get a good used 700 or better yet order one of Jerry Stillers Predator actions with standard bolt face. Cost is $650 and already trued and ready to go, just put a barrel on and fits remington bedded guns.

Suggest you spend some time at the www.6mmbr.com site and read up on the BR. Lot of good info on chambers, bullets, barrels and twists. John Myer is a 6mmBR site top recommended smith in Boyce VA and builds all kinds of LR guns. He is my smith of choice.

BH

Good luck 25-06. One things for sure they own you for 4 years. Keep a positive attitude and have fun.

Re-read Pete's post, VERY important stuff in their.

Good Luck, thank you for serving our great country. Without people like you, freedom and democracy do not exist. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wildcat

P.S. I am sure you going to get a lot of shootin in, M-16, M-60, 50 CAL, ECT.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts