Sights for "long range" open sight hunting

JPHunter

G'day,

I'm looking to extend my open sight capability with my CZ 550 7x57. My current setup have a very thick front blade sight and at 200 yards it is a push to make out enough of the target.

My goal is to be able to take shots out to 200 yards on large game. Does anyone have suggestions for sights that might be good for this?

Aperture sites are very good for long range targets because they are round just like the targets. They are used in many 600 and 1000 yard matches. The problem with them for hunting Is the tendency to hold center mass and hitting the game just behind the heart lung area. I recommend the thin front blade and a flat top pistol type sight so the POI is not covered and the flat top rear allows you to center the front blade and elevate the rear sight level with the front site for a good hold.

With this setup you can hold over or under for the distance and still retain good alignment of the sites. I tried mixing the front blade with the/a rear aperture but the site picture was more difficult to to align and with both blade sites you end up with almost a reticle site picture with a horizontal line and two vertical lines. đź‘Ť

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.