Sightron vs Weaver vs Leupold: Help!

I have a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 on the way. Should be here early next week. I decided on this one due to the glass (I heard that it was a wee bit better than Sightron). I got the illuminated MOA-3 Reticle with MOA turrets. I will post a review seeing as there are WAY TOO FEW reviews of that scope.

Thank you all for your help!

-Mega

TXhillbilly says his 3x15 weaver is they're grand slam . I bet the Tactical uses different glass. Any how I have the tactical and I don't think you'll be disappointed. BUT remember its mil on mil FFP not MOA SFP ( I'm sure you know that,just had to say it) at first it was confusing. Now I just adjust it like a normal scope and forget the mill conversion and ranging . I have a laser range finder for all that. I really think the glass is better then my S3 at least to my 54 year old corrected vision eyes .

I have one of the original sightron S3 6-24X50 with mil-dot reticle, at first I really liked it and the more I have used it and tried some others, I think I will be replacing it as soon as I can afford it.

The glass in the initial release of the Sightron SIIIs is not the equivalent of the glass in the later model SIIIs, released in 2008. The quality of the glass was improved. You can tell the originals with the lesser quality glass from the uimproved SIIIs by the design shape of the eyepiece portion of the scopes, as well as the turrets. Here's a link to an article with photos that will allow a person to identify which generation of SIII scope they are looking at.

Sightron SIII SS 6-24X50 LR Riflescope | Western Shooter

I was wrong about my scope being one of the originals, its one of the new ones. I guess my eyes must not be as good as theirs. I first had the scope mounted on a 300RUM and often had to struggle to see my bullet holes through the scope at 200 yards. I know sightron is a good scope, but have checked out some others that I tend to like more then my sightron.

Can someone PLEASE POST A PICTURE OF THE IMAGE THROUGH YOUR SIGHTRON SIII????????

And/or your WEAVER TACTICAL??????

I think I NEED to see them side-by-side.

I recently picked up an SIII 6-24 LRMOA and fell in love with the reticle the first time I had it out. The turret adjustments feel great, it has loads of adjustment, ultra clear glass and the floating dot in the MOA reticle is amazing.

Last edited:
I just ordered a(nother) Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm emdr scope. After reading reviews of the crisp adjustments, bright glass, and wonderful tracking, I settled on this scope. Thanks to everyone for your help. I will post a review of it when I get it. Happy holidays!

-Mega

If they have you sold on sightron, they have steered you in the right direction! I own a couple of SIIs and am very pleased. As far as the reticels go, I like a standard duplex for hunting. Everything else just to busy for me. If you were to go that rout, having mil/mil, moa/moa would definitely be the way to go. I just bought a weaver super slam 4-20x50, and couldn't he happier for long range hunting. The turrets are easily adjusted on the fly and the glass is superb. It has plenty of adjustment to get your 308 out to 600 and with a 20 moa base you could go even further. One in 3-15 would save you some money compared to the tactical. I would stay away from leupold. The other scopes your considering offer more for your money, and in my opinion are better optics period! Especially the sightron. It has an over the counter warranty if anything was to happen. You can't beat that!

I know this is off track of the original thread, but I was suprised by the new bushnell scope, its tactical version. Sightrons warranty is hard to beat.
I wished a local dealer carried a better selection here in Boise as I would love to check out the 8-32X56 Sightron S3. Anyone have one of those? "8-32X56 Sightron S3"

I know this is off track of the original thread, but I was suprised by the new bushnell scope, its tactical version. Sightrons warranty is hard to beat.
I wished a local dealer carried a better selection here in Boise as I would love to check out the 8-32X56 Sightron S3. Anyone have one of those? "8-32X56 Sightron S3"

I have one . What kind of reticle are you going to go with ? I have the 1/8 dot. If had to do over i'd get either the 1/4 dot or the plex . Other than that its got great glass.

I agree with Buano I only just got into the shooting game and bought a Bushnell for my .22 and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Rapid Z600 for My .308, I love the Zeiss. I have not hunted as of yet but I have done some long range and I love the RapidZ reticles, very easy holdovers just aim and shoot no thinking. Once your zeroed at 200 yards go to Zeiss RapidZ calculator enter info and presto your dialed in for up to 600 yards with no thinking about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.