Sightron SIII vs. Leupold VX-3

Waffen

Hey Guys,

I've just completed building a new Savage/Shilen .260 Remington build, and I'm looking to top it with some new optics. It will primarily be a bench gun spending time at 100-700 yards, but may see 1-2 white tail trips a year.

I'm looking for something in the 6-20ish power range, with around 100MOA of internal adjustment. I've got a Vari-X III mounted on a .223 bench gun that I absolutely love. I would buy another, but it doesn't have enough adjustment internally, and it's got the standard hunter turrets.

In the past I've had a VX3 8.5-25x50LRT on a 300 RUM that was a good scope, but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions. I also felt my older Vari-X III has better optical clarity, with just as precise adjustment.

I had all but settled on a new Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50LRT with a fine duplex reticle, but I've tried to keep an open mind and look at alternatives. To me the Leupold is a constant, a bench mark, and solid glass. That being said, I can't help but think it's slightly overpriced for what you get.

Over the past few days, I've been frantically searching for feedback & reviews on scopes in this relative price range ($700-$1000) with these features.

I've noticed the Sightron SIII series seems to be getting a good bit of publicity on several forums, and I wanted to get some feedback from those that have used them. I have seen them compared to Leupolds, NightForce (BR series mostly), and other high end optics. In most cases the reviews seem to indicate they are better than the Leupold and "on par" with a NightForce BR scope.

I don't have a Sightron dealer close to me, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you with an SIII and other high end optics. What would you do?

Not a lot of personal experiance with the Sightron (I dont own one) but I have found even the high end stuff like my Schmidt Benders show a lot of mirage on warmer days get past about 12x and they all get much worse. As for the Luepy, have a few and the are really tough with great glass and the warrenty/repair is first rate.

I would suggest you take a look at some of the earlier threads on here. There's been a lot of input about these scopes and even though I don't own one, after reading dozens of post I'm inclined to get one.

loosesniper2000, Dig;

Thanks for the replies; I'm surprised I haven't brought down the hosting servers with the number of searches I've done on these forums, and several others. I'm just trying to draw out as much additional content as I can before I drop a good bit of money.

I'm leaning towards the Sightron, but who knows?

I have an VX3 8.5-25x50 LRT, and an SIII 8-32x56 when they're set on the same magnification I really can't tell you there's a difference. With that said I'm not an optics guy either. I will say there's no sense in spending more than you need too. Don't be afraid of sightron.

i'm going to be purchasing a 8-32 Sightron soon for my long range gun. i think they are a better scope than Leupold, not to mention cheaper. Kevin Cram on here sells them for as good a price as you're going to find.

+1 for the SIII. I have a 6-24x50 LRMD and have loved it since the day I got it. Awesome tracking and great glass, a very good value. I would put it up against much more expensive scopes. Here is one that you get some free flip up covers with> Long Range Accessories

Why do you feel you need 100 moa for shooting out to 700 yards? My 800 yard dope for 139gr scenars at 2820 fps is just 20moa, at just 200 ft above sea level. Just saying...:)

i read an interesting post by our very own Ernie Bishop that more than one vx-3 failed on a 375 chey-tac and an S111 is doing just fine. pretty much tells me the Sightron is a more rugged piece than the Leupold.

I've used the 8-32 SIII on my 338 lapua improved and 6-284.
It has performed flawlessly on all occasions.
I've dialed it alot and it always has been repeatable
I have 4 sightons and they are all very good scopes

I have a Sightron lll 10x50x60 LRTD on my 300 RUM semi-custom sendero and have had no complaints. I couldn't say that about the Leupold VXlll 8.5x25x50 that I ended up taking off the gun after it wouldn't hold zero nor return to zero after the turretts were moved up and down a few ttimes. After the second return to Leupold for repair it still would not hold zero so I replaced it with the Sightron. I do however have 3 Leupold Mark 4's on other Model 700's and have only had to return one of them for repair but otherwise they seem to be OK.

I have a sightron S111. Great scope but i do not like to take the caps off to dial up or for wind plus no zero stop. The vortex viper PST has bolth. I will get more vipers PST. If sightron come out with a scope with a zero stop and mo caps then i will get more.

I have a sightron S111. Great scope but i do not like to take the caps off to dial up or for wind plus no zero stop. The vortex viper PST has bolth. I will get more vipers PST. If sightron come out with a scope with a zero stop and mo caps then i will get more.

I don't see a reason to have the caps on to begin with. I took mine off as soon as I got the scope more than a year ago and they have sat in a box ever since. The new SIII with the MOA reticle that is coming out soon has no caps......

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.