Sightron SIII vs Leupold MKIV

sigfla

Trying to decide between a 6-20x Leupold with TS-29 reticle and 6-24x Sightron with lighted MOA-H or 8-32x with lighted MOA-H. I have researched a bunch and am leaning towards the Sightron but Leupolds customer service and aesthetics have me second guessing at times. My old Leupolds have never let me down. I know about the reticle issues with Leupold but I have heard they have pretty much corrected. I want good turret tracking and optical quality.

As an aside I could spend more on a Nightforce with SFP MOAR-T but I really like the 2 SFP reticles offered by Sightron and Leupold. I just don't know if the extra money is really worth it. This is going on a Prairie Dog gun in .204.

Who wins out here? Any one with experience in both greatly appreciated. I don't want to be disappointed and end up having to buy up later when I can do it right the first time.

Here are a few observations I hope will help you : I'm not sure why you want a lighted Reticle on a Pdog Rifle . After many decades of Pdog Hunting , I always brought my darkest Sunglasses because of that very bright Western Sun . I have only compared the Sightron S-3 8-32X vs the Leupold ( VX Series ... no experience with the Mk4 ) 8.5-25X at both 16X and 25X on Resolution Targets in bright Sunlight , I would call Resolution about the same . One of the biggest problems in Pdog Hunting is the Wind . For many years I used a fixed Leupold 16X and to quantify Hold-Off I used 1,2,or 3 Pdog estimated widths hold- off into the wind . There were a few days when that was nowhere near enough and it was difficult to even stand straight ...... then I gave up and went touresting . These days , there are Reticles which can help you with Windage . The Sightron MOA-2 and Leupold Varmint Hunter would be a big help . Your 204 should be good to roughly 500 Yards or so for Pdogs ( maybe a tad more on calm days ) , so Windage judgement is important . My experience is that it blows like heck probably 3/4 of the time in S.Dakota , Montana , and Wyoming . Another thing to consider is the Scope Objective Diameter and how high you are required to mount the Scope on your particular Rifle . Decide on how much cheek-weld you want , if any at all and whether you will be shooting off a bench or prone or off some sort of movable Rest . If you get on the ground , take a tough shooting Mat , and watch out for Rattlers in some areas . My Pdog days are probably over .... I envy you ! Good Luck with your Hunt .

Thanks Tulku thats great info. I was under the impression that the lit center crosshair could be turned off. I have a VH reticle on my .243 and it works well but I tend to rely more on my ballistic software. I use Strelok Pro. I do wish the VH had a longer vertical line with more MOA for my .243. Anything really far out 600+ I have to dial up the turret.

The extra MOA wind drift dots on the TS-32 and MOA-H should work well for judging drift with the .204. I personally have not found a reticle that is too busy yet, lol. An added plus is my ballistic software has both reticles listed on it.

I do want good turret tracking even though the 2 reticles I mentioned are both hold off style. My 2 current PD guns have a VX3 L 56mm and a SWFA 3-15x. I like them both. The SWFA is a steal for the money. I pulled a Meopta off one gun to mount it on a .204 for my wife and it is a great scope as well.

Thanks Tulku thats great info. I was under the impression that the lit center crosshair could be turned off. I have a VH reticle on my .243 and it works well but I tend to rely more on my ballistic software. I use Strelok Pro. I do wish the VH had a longer vertical line with more MOA for my .243. Anything really far out 600+ I have to dial up the turret.

The extra MOA wind drift dots on the TS-32 and MOA-H should work well for judging drift with the .204. I personally have not found a reticle that is too busy yet, lol. An added plus is my ballistic software has both reticles listed on it.

I do want good turret tracking even though the 2 reticles I mentioned are both hold off style. My 2 current PD guns have a VX3 L 56mm and a SWFA 3-15x. I like them both. The SWFA is a steal for the money. I pulled a Meopta off one gun to mount it on a .204 for my wife and it is a great scope as well.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I don't use it for varminting but I have the SWFA 5-20x50 HD FFP on my .300 WSM and they are a lot of scope for the money. Have you considered the Burris Veracity FFP model with the varmint reticle? I have the 4-20x50 on my .270 AI and both scopes tracks very well and the clarity is awesome for "my" old eyes.

Good luck and happy safe hunting. Cheers!

Not interested in a FFP for a groundhog gun. The ranging advantages of a FFP don't do me any good compared to a laser RF. I do have an SWFA SFP 3-15 MOA scope on my CZ .204 and it is a great scope for the $$.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.