Sightron SIII next scope choice????

Just for Information...... There is a gentleman over on the SH forum under group buys that is going to make a run of Zero Stop shims for the Sightron scopes... This would make the sightrons even more appealing IMO... Dave

I don't go there any more. Can you post info on him?

I don't know how to copy all that stuff to this site... Maybe some PC Guru can help.. Dave

I PMed the Gentleman doing this project and asked him to post it on this site also... Dave

I have 3 Sightron 6x24x50 LRMOA scopes and would be interested in purchasing 3 sets of shims to allow for a zero stop on them.

I'd take a kit if it will fit on the 6x24

Hi I'm the guy from snipershide running the group buy. Just to be clear I am not asking anyone to prepay. My goal was to gauge the interest before I spent the $400 on a minimum order of titanium shims.

The shim kit will come with a bunch of shims in 3 sizes so you can make gross adjustments, medium adjustments and minor adjustments in elevation to get the zero stop set exactly where you need it.

The shims will fit where the green arrow is pointing. The shims will not interfere with the turret cap.

shimposition.jpg

I could use some help from guys that have 6-24x or other capped turret Sightron SIII.

Could someone measure the diameter of the "turret stem" and post the measurement?

On my 8-32 it measures 23.67mm

Hi I'm the guy from snipershide running the group buy. Just to be clear I am not asking anyone to prepay. My goal was to gauge the interest before I spent the $400 on a minimum order of titanium shims.

The shim kit will come with a bunch of shims in 3 sizes so you can make gross adjustments, medium adjustments and minor adjustments in elevation to get the zero stop set exactly where you need it.

The shims will fit where the green arrow is pointing. The shims will not interfere with the turret cap.

shimposition.jpg

I could use some help from guys that have 6-24x or other capped turret Sightron SIII.

Could someone measure the diameter of the "turret stem" and post the measurement?

On my 8-32 it measures 23.67mm

Will this shim system only work on the capped turrets or will you sell them for exposed turrets too?

Have you experimented with the shims? I'm curious as to if they will flop around if the turret is not turned down on them, esp being metal. W/ a nylon if you under size it there will be some give to it and give it a snug fit. For an outside stop I really think a slightly under sized o ring is the ticket, but its not easy to see your indicator line. Now if they only made clear rubber o rings :D

For my 10-50x60 I think the 7/8" or 1" fit perfect, but I couldn't see my indicator line. Maybe not a deal breaker, but I didn't care for it.

Will this shim system only work on the capped turrets or will you sell them for exposed turrets too?

If the measurements are the same it would work with exposed turrets as well. I am thinking they probably won't be the same diameter.

Or if you can get enough people together I can order that size in the first manufacturing run as well.

If it works out well I will try to eventually offer it for all Sightron SIII scopes.

Have you experimented with the shims? I'm curious as to if they will flop around if the turret is not turned down on them, esp being metal. W/ a nylon if you under size it there will be some give to it and give it a snug fit. For an outside stop I really think a slightly under sized o ring is the ticket, but its not easy to see your indicator line. Now if they only made clear rubber o rings :D

For my 10-50x60 I think the 7/8" or 1" fit perfect, but I couldn't see my indicator line. Maybe not a deal breaker, but I didn't care for it.

The tolerances on this should be reasonably tight, about 0.02 - 0.03mm or about 0.0008 to 0.0011 inches over the actual diameter of the turret stem so there shouldn't be much movement. That being said if you are way off the zero under recoil it could flop for i don't know a fraction of a second.

I have spoken with a nylon manufacturer about this. Their tolerances weren't as precise and their initial order was about $800 vs the $400 for the titanium. Although their per unit price was actually better but they forced you to buy more up front.

I am not opposed to nylon if more people prefer that. We would need at least $500 of serious orders before I would want to lay out the $800 on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.