Sightron SIII next scope choice????

WVGuns

Looking at getting a new scope for my custom LR rifle. Will not be used for hunting rather I will be punching paper out to 1k. Ive heard good things on the Sightron SIII can anyone give me some thoughts on this beast. Im looking at the 8-32x56 Any advice on reticle selection would be helpful as well. Definatly wanna stick with moa since that's what im used too. Thanks in advance.

I've got a SIII 8-32x56 with the LRMOA reticle. I've also got a nightforce 8-32x56 NSX so I can compare them. The nightforce is $1900, the SIII is $800. The glass is a little better in the nightforce, but not a whole lot. The SIII glass is pretty good. Both are repeatable, equal accuracy in the turrets I'd say. Parallax adjustment is good on both of them. The zero stop on the nightforce is great, none available on the sightron. The nightforce has a more robust, quality feel but I haven't broken either of them.

All in all the sightron has done it's job well and I like it a lot. I like the nightforce better but it's also over twice the price so it's apples/oranges. For the price the sightron is a heck of a scope, I just wish you could get it with a zero stop.

2 6-24x50
1 8-32x56
3 10-50x60

Almost everything else is Leupold or Redfield but those are much more hunting oriented rifle scopes.

The Sightron glass is "almost" as good as Nightforce, I don't own a Nightforce but I've been behind them enough. In the day light it's very hard to tell the difference. In twilight and darkness, the Nightforce has an advantage. I can find the IPSC target at 400 yards in the dark a little easier and reacquired easier with the Nightforce over the Sightron.

That said, how often do you do 1k matches in the dark?

I have a couple LRMOA reticles and the rest are TD. Even though I twiddle knobs, I recommend the LRMOA.

The Nightforce does seem more "heavy duty" but I keep my scopes precious anyway. The Sightrons survive fine on my 338 Edge and 300 RUMs.

I have the 8-32X SIII with the dot reticle. This is on a 6mm Dasher that is used for long range paper punching as well as the occasional deer. Very nice scope / reticle for the money! Works extremely well for paper punching. I also had the Dot Reticle in the SIII 10-50x for my .260 Improved. The Dot reticle is very nice for long range paper punching.....just my 2 cents worth.

Here's the 8-32X along side its bigger brother....the 10-50X:

Good Luck,

Wayne

If you're a MOA shooter then the LRMOA reticle (MOA-2) is the logical choice, it's what I've got in mine. I see they've added the LRMOA-H which has the horus dots in it, otherwise it's the same as the LRMOA. The LRMOA-H wasn't available when I got mine, but I still think I'd have gone regular LRMOA. I'm sure the dots are useful but I'm a turret twister and don't hold off that much, I prefer the less cluttered look. They've also got illumination available now, my nightforce is illuminated too but I very rarely turn it on.

The Dot reticle that I have.....is a single fine dot in the center. This isn't a Mildot or ranging type reticle......there are no holdovers. So....it requires dialing in dope....ie turret twisting. The single dot or fine cross hair would function very well for paper punching....as the OP stated he was wanting to do.
Wayne

I'll be mounting this on my 6ppc so paper punching all the way. Sounds like the dot reticle is the way to go. Ill slide on over to sightrons site and see what I can find. Appreciate all the info guys. Love this site

Just for Information...... There is a gentleman over on the SH forum under group buys that is going to make a run of Zero Stop shims for the Sightron scopes... This would make the sightrons even more appealing IMO... Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.