Sightron Scopes

Montana Medic,

I, like you, wasn't too sure about the Sightron Scopes until I tried them. I recently purchased the Sightron 6-24 X Series II Sightron Scope for my long range rifle - a Remington Sendero 7mm RUM.

Since, I am still working it up, I can't tell you how well it's performed for me long range wise. But I can tell you the general stuff that I liked about the scope.

First, mine came with a free sunshade - which I liked. The Adjustable Objective on the front of the scope has adjustment for really close shooting. Not important for LR shooting but unique to any scope I've ever owned. The 1/8 inch click adjustments were a little different than the 1/4 for me to get used to but they were very crisp and clean. The target knobs are lower profile than most with an easy-to-use slip adjustment for your zero. Eye relief is good for my 7 Ultra Mag. The lens are very clear with a full field of view (no rim shadow). The power adjustment was just stiff enough and not sloppy. The target turrets have a rubber gasket at the bottom which the adjustment covers bed into when you screw them down making it quiet and supposedly more waterproof.

Before purchasing this scope I contacted Sightron's service department via their e-mail to ask them a few questions. They were vague and not really helpful on technical questions. I asked the following:

Q: Are your lenses used in other scopes like Leupold, Burris, Tasco, etc. (some people rumor that the lenses are the same as Leupolds).
A: We manufacture our own lenses

Q: Your competition, Bushnell advertises that their Elite Series Scopes are put through several thousand rounds of 375 H & H firings as part of their recoil testing, what recoil testing do you do for your Sightron Scopes?
A: I don't believe their advertisements are for each and every scope. Though they may advertise this type of recoil testing I doubt if it helps in scope quality and performance and keep the scopes out of the repair shop which I hear is pretty big. Our scopes are used on all calibers.

Q: Where are your scopes manufactured and assembled?
A: Japan

There were a few other questions, I asked but this gives you an idea of their customer service department. Probably some person who hasn't even shot one of their scopes. Regardless, I am pleased with the scope and would recommend it to anyone. The only improvement I can see is perhaps more scope adjusment and FULLY MULTI-COATED lenses instead of the multi-coated lenses. What's the difference? Fully Mult-coated lenses have coating on both sides of each piece of glass, where as multi-coating have coating on the surface of the lens exposed to the shooter. The more lens surfaces that are coated the better the clarity and light transmission.

Hope this helps. I really like my Sightron Scope for LR shooting.

I have a Sightron 2, 6 x 24 on my HVY Benchrest gun, 1/8" clicks 40/44mm Obj. I only purchased it after I was told that the guy that designed Leupold vari-x 3's left the company and started Sightron. I find the scope to be reliable, 1 click and I get 1 click of movement. I have fired 6 single digit groups this season, best being a high 5" w/96 score. I guess the scope is doing it's job. Good luck and safe shooting........
grin.gif

I like the clarity of Sightron's, and their over the counter warranty...however I do not like their eye relief. I would never suggest anyone putting them on a magnum unless it was braked. The one's I've looked through (many many many, as I work in a sporting good store), I have to snug up so close to them that I wouldn't be able to put them on a magnum without getting bit across the eyebrow upon firing. But, there have been a few that had about 3" of ER....but the majority just had about 2".

Anybody out there besides me have trouble getting the SII6-24x42 models adjusted parallax free at higher magnifications (like above 12-14x or so)? The other problem I have w/ them is that while they are quite accurate as far as movements, the ones I've tinkered w/ were not a true 1/8MOA (i.e. ~0.125" per click) but more like 0.150 per click @ 100yds. Doesn't sound like much until you start trying to do the mental gymnastics to figure out the # of clicks needed to get on target at longer ranges.

Final issue I have w/ the ones I've shot is that the optics are not centered in the tube. I.e. if I center the windage and elevation, the scope is off close to 15 minutes to one side. Since I usually use Weaver/Picatinny style mounts, I can't afford to lose that much adjustment just to get the darn scope zeroed (along w/ the associated loss of elevation because the windage isn't in the center of the tube). And no, it's not on just one gun. I tried it out on 3 or 4 guns, which normally wore a Tasco SS10x42, a Weaver V-16, and Leupold LR/T 8.5-25x50mm scopes. Same results. Using Redding type scope bases (manufactured by leupold) I could jack the rear base over enough to compensate, but then I lost the other advantages of the Weaver system I was using.

I got the original scope on a trade, exchanged it thru a local dealer, talked a fair amount w/ a tech at Sightron, and am now considering taking this one back as well. Maybe I'll hit the lottery and get one that works as advertised.

YMMV,

Monte

I want to thank all of you for your input and information. I don't believe I will be acquiring a Sightron Scope, after reading the reviews here and on Siper Country. The main reason I wanted a Mil-Dot scope is for range finding, not to take a math class and carry a calculator. Has some of you have mentioned the Sightron Mil-Dot Scope is not a true Mil-Dot, and it appears that alot of time and math is involved in the ranging process and a little short on the MOA adjustment
confused.gif

[ 09-06-2003: Message edited by: Montana Medic ]

[ 09-06-2003: Message edited by: Montana Medic ]

Had 2 SII 36x42BRD sold them at the nationals and got 2 more Leupold 40's .
I was not a fan of the eye relief and the field of view. The scopes seemed clear and crisp.

Stay with what works!

MM, I've used a Sightron for years in competition, and been pretty successful with it, and more than once have finished ahead of every other rig on the line, which sported far more expensive custom rifles and optics.

The Sniper Country review is crap, and the author cannot be identified, and they shouldn't even publish it. The Sightron mil-dot is most certainly "standard", once you determine what magnification corresponds to the mil-dot standard (of 3.6" at 100y) as you would have to do for ANY variable scope from ANY manufacturer. With Sightron, their variable scopes w/MD reticle equate to standard spacing near maximum magnification.

To correct another bit of misinformation in this thread, their lenses are FULLY Multicoated. Every air to glass lens surface gets at least five coats of their Zact-7 coating, equivalent to most better quality glass on the market.

My scope, although perhaps I got the only excellent product they ever built (but I doubt it) has 1/8 MOA adjustments and they do in fact equate to 8 clicks per inch at 100y. I shoot a grid to test it. The Sightron has the most repeatable adjustments of any scope I have ever used, including all of the better brands (except Nightforce which I don't own, because they are just too huge and heavy for me to willingly put one on my rifles). But Nikon, Weaver GS, B&L Elite, Leupold VX3 and Mark 4, I got 'em and use 'em and the Sightron bests them all in that category.

More than two thousand rounds of .308 fired in a VSSF (which weighs less than 11 pounds including scope/ring/bases/bipod).

I beat the Sightron drum pretty hard. Me and Gruff from Sniper's Hide are unofficial Sightron fan club vice-presidents.
smile.gif

But that's because we *know* they perform. And lastly, eye relief is at least 3" (as advertised) and my scope has no parallax problem at any range. Maybe I DID get the only decent one they ever built!
wink.gif

No, it's not for sale.

[ 09-23-2003: Message edited by: Nate Haler ]

I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, and felt compelled to register in order to reply to this thread. I have one Sightron - a SII 3-12x50mm on a 6mm AI. I must say that I love the scope. I mounted it on a Rem LA using Warne bases and rings (not windage adjustable). I think milanuk just got a bad scope as far as the reticle being centered. I only had to make a few click adjustments to get mine sighted in. I have not checked to see if the adjustments are exact (supposed to be 1/4 min.), but by my measurements and adjustments when sighting in, they were close.

The lenses on the SII's are fully multi-coated, and the Sightron is bright and clear - comparable to a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x50mm that I own. I don't believe it is equal to the Leupold, but I believe it is the best-quality non-Leupold I have (I also have Weaver Grand Slam and B&L 4200).

I am building a 257 AI now, and I'm already committed to putting a SII 4.5-14x50mm on it.

Obviously, I'm not in to the long-range game yet, but I'm trying to learn. I have found this site to be very informative. I understand that the long-range shooter needs very precise scope adjustments, and I'm not saying that the Sightrons are precise enough for 600 or 1,000 yard shooting. My only experience so far has been at 100 and 200 yards (give me a break, I said I'm trying to study up on long range before I jump into it).

I have a sightron 24 power target scope on a 280ai that i shoot from 500 to 1000 yards regulary and out to 1500 yards occasionally. The clicks are very repeatable and the optics are good.

6-24 target versionon s 300 rum sendro no problem with eye relief, optics as good or better than gold ring, and for the money a very good scope. A little history I dropped my rig over 40 feet( my own fault)of a ledge. Dinged the bell abit a few markes on the surface a chip out of the stock. Test fired it a bit off target one quick adjustment back on and ready to go.

I amnot saying that the scope is the end all be all but having owned and payed for much more exspensive scope I am sold. Never had any problems with running the clicks very postive. Unlike a few others.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.