Sightron Scopes ???

o2bwest

Whats the story on Sightron? I've heard good things but have not used or even looked through one. How do they compare to say a Vortex Viper PST?

A search in the upper right hand corner will give you hours of reading. I own the SIII 6-24 and in my mind the glass is better than the Viper PST. The knobs on my Sightron are very nice and I would rate them better than the Viper as well, but others think the Vortex has better knobs. The Vortex gives you a zero stop and their warranty is the best. I'm in the market for another scope and more thank likely I will buy a third Sightron.

Never been around a vortex scope, but from what I've read sounds like they would be a good scope. Have several sightrons, from the cheaper model to the mid range priced models. They all seem to be clear, track well and hold zero.

The best knobs are my girlfriend's knobs. They might not return to zero but they are more fun to twist......:)

Frankly, I've read some things about Sightron Big Sky scopes that didn't excite me. Having never owned one, I'm not adverse to trying one out and may at some point.

I'm not brand loyal, I'm value loyal.

Last edited:
I concur that the glass is better on the SIII that Vortex PST. The PST will get hazy at max setting; SIII does not. SIII has a sharper image. Both dial well. Both seem to be a good value. I own both.

I have an S-III 8-32x56 LRMOA reticle on a 300RUM and it has worked perfectly. Best bang for your buck out there.....IMHO.

I have a Sightron III scope. To my eyes, it is an amazing scope for the price. Yup, it is BEST bang for a buck!
The knob is pretty good however the side focus is a bit stiff.

My vote is Sightron III.

I've put Sightron SIII's and Vortex PST's next to each other many time while long range hunting, the Sightron has the glass by a very small margin, the PST has the turrets by a small margin, zero stop goes to the PST, windage turret layout goes to the PST, available elevation goes Sightron, turret tracking is dead even.

My final conclusion is that I like to use the Sightron on a rifle that is for longer ranges and the turret is bottomed out with a steeper rail. I use the Vortex on a rifle that is not ELR and gets used a lot over a wider range and on the go where it would be easy to get of on the windage or elevation turret.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the new Sightron STac optic!

The best knobs are my girlfriend's knobs. They might not return to zero but they are more fun to twist......:)

Frankly, I've read some things about Sightron Big Sky scopes that didn't excite me. Having never owned one, I'm not adverse to trying one out and may at some point.

I'm not brand loyal, I'm value loyal.

The big sky scope is a step down from the SIII.

Glass on the SIII is top notch. I had a Vortex PST in 1st focal plan. I didn't really care for the scope but the glass is good.

FYI, The Big Sky series are a step down in performance when talking about the SIII's.

I have 2 SIII's (8-32x56s) and they have all but exceeded my expectations from BR shooting to 1000yd steel plate matches in the middle of summer. They (SIII) track wonderfully & the glass is bright and clear. Turrets are easy to read & solid with no lash and positive detents. They dont have RTZ on them but they are numerically marked (scope body) so you can return them to your base setting as long as you remember to do so. At max power 32x, the brightness comes down a bit but the clarity is still there. My only beef like others have mentioned on here, is that the side focus knob gets a bit stiff, esp in colder temps. However its still easier and quicker than and end bell Obj adjustable scope. Ive done a side by side examination between Sightron and vortex PST and preferred the clarity and brightness of the Sightron's. Bells and whistles aside Ill almost always take the scope with the better glass. Its even a smidge or 2 brighter than my beloved Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50, albeit that's a 1inch 50mm scope so its sort of apples to oranges. They have a lifetime warranty and they're made in japan to boot. IMHO, they are very nice scopes and probably the top/best sub 1000$ scopes out there right now.

I opted for the Razor. I am a Vortex dealer so it's kind of a no brainer for me. I was curious about the Sightrons because I had heard they were good scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.