Sighting Zero at what distance ???

.25MOA

Hi there again friends, i have finally got my Long Range Rifle setup together and was wondering what distance to Zero it at ?? It's a Sendero in .300wm with a Burris Black Diamond 8-32 scope and i intend to shoot out to 1000yards .....at what distance should i zero at ?? Also the scope has the Mildot Plex which has those yardage markers for 200 300 400 500 600 yards, will they be of any use when zeroing at distances greater than 100yards ??

Thanx for any help on this....:)

Hi .25MOA
I'm a bit South of you.

"at what distance should i zero at ?? Also the scope has the Mildot Plex which has those yardage markers for 200 300 400 500 600 yards, will they be of any use when zeroing at distances greater than 100yards ??"

Mate you just have to start somewhere and see how it goes. But if you want to shoot to 1000 yards then you are going to have to dial up.

I am not a fan of yardage markers on a scope reticle but with that scope I would zero it in at 100 yards. I would then shoot it at all the range markers listed with your chosen load and see how it compares.
Then I would work out the drop at 1000 yards and see how far off the mark you are at that distance when you dial up.

Once you have all this information you will then have a better idea of the trajectory of your load. This will help you decide on where to go fron there.

Do you have any idea what load you will be shooting?

Hi .25MOA
I'm a bit South of you.

"at what distance should i zero at ?? Also the scope has the Mildot Plex which has those yardage markers for 200 300 400 500 600 yards, will they be of any use when zeroing at distances greater than 100yards ??"

Mate you just have to start somewhere and see how it goes. But if you want to shoot to 1000 yards then you are going to have to dial up.

I am not a fan of yardage markers on a scope reticle but with that scope I would zero it in at 100 yards. I would then shoot it at all the range markers listed with your chosen load and see how it compares.
Then I would work out the drop at 1000 yards and see how far off the mark you are at that distance when you dial up.

Once you have all this information you will then have a better idea of the trajectory of your load. This will help you decide on where to go fron there.

Do you have any idea what load you will be shooting?

Yes, i'll be using the Remington ACCUTIPS 180gr Boat Tails..

I think the 300 win mag will shoot to flat to use the scope with a 100 zero . a 100 zero is more for non magnum velocities . use a 200 zero and your ballistic marks will then be 300 , 400 , 500 , top of the heavy post will be 600 . as the other fellow said to get to 1000 you will need to dial up . Jim

this advice is for the balistic plex . you are using mildot plex . sorry about this .

Last edited:
If you're considering going out to 1000 yards, I'd highly recommend using either Burris Signature rings to add some MOA to it or a 20 MOA base. My last two rifles I used the Burris Signature rings and each required +10 in the back and -20 in the front to get the crosshairs "right on" a 200 yard zero without ever touching the elevation screws. If you do this, you won't "use up" your vertical adjustments just bringing the scope down to its initial zero.

I'm sorry , I was talking about the ballistic plex reticle . I've had these before and was going from memory . I just looked up the black diamond 's reticles . the 300 does call for a 100 zero . they are not using the top of the heavy post for a yardage for the 300 mag , but you could . here is a link to that info . Jim

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BMDotLabels4.pdf

Thanx Jim thats the chart i got with the Scope.........so with this maybe i didn't need the 20 MOA base ?????

Right now I am using about a 270yrd zero. I am forced to that because of all the cant I currently have in my rifle. I have about 40MOA forcing me to that range. I am currently shooting about 3.25" high at 200yrds with the turret bottomed out.:D

Tank

3" High

For long range shooting the 3" High at 100 yards is what I use in my non rangefinding scopes........

For my Leupold Plex scope .........it calls for a 200 yard zero and then use the crosshair rangefinder in the scope for 300. 400 500.

Works great when teamed up with my laser range finder..........

Last edited:
If you are gonna be dialing for 1000yards (which I would recommend) then you are gonna need plenty of moa built into the rail and an extended sight in distance as your scope only has 30 sum-odd moa of total adjustments. Just because the scope has that much travel doesn't mean you will have that much of useable adjustment. I would use a 20 moa rail to start and use the Burris rings to customize the total moa needed (up or down). I don't believe that scope is the best choice for short to long range shooting due to it's limited adjustments. If I kept my shooting to certain range increments (either short to medium or medium to long) I wouldn't see a problem with it. But then again if that's what you got, make the best of it.
A reticle with multiple aiming points is a nice thing to have for quick reference points but not as accurate at extended ranges as dialing (if your turrets are precise and repeatable). You need to shoot it to see where your holds should be.

I set all my rifles for 300 yard zero's. This has been the easiest for my mind to grasp but I have been doing it this way for 25 years. I tried the 100 yard zero a couple of times but under field conditions (i.e. charging groundhog's or rabid whitetail's) my mind takes over, reverts back to the 300yd zero and I invariably fumble it up (and get trampled or bitten). Best just to go with what you know and feel the most comfortable with. JohnnyK. :)

:DThanx a Bundle for all the advice Fellas......i took the Sendero out to a mates property and set up a Plough Disk at 200metres, it seemed to take a few shots to hit it, i was starting to think there wasn't enough "Down" adjustment, but a few adjustments here and there had me joining 4 shots together !!!!!! Two 4 shot groups in a row after the initial barrel break in process i was joining the shots very nicely. I have a question though, after how many shots is the barrel shooting its Best ??? gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.