Sighting in somewhere else

BROWNT

My turret is built for 2250ft. elevation and 70 deg. When I travel to New Mexico and check my trajectory it's usually 2 clicks different. Can I just re-zero and move turret? There it's 6000ft. and 50 deg. Thanks

I have a felling your going to be a quite a bit off on your turret. You looking at 3500' difference, and 20 degree swing. If the temp doesn't effect the elevation will. You will find yourself shooting high requiring less elevation than what your use too. Run the numbers on JBM Ballistic or one of the other online ballistic calculators. That should give you some idea.

Tank

Thanks liltank. Last year, thats what I thought. But I got to shot around some and it was consistant at 1/2 moa off. So when came to huntin I just backed off 2 clicks and let'er rip. This year I was thinking I could just re-zero and move the turret, but that sounded too simple.

It depends in part on high the BC of your bullet is. If you are shooting a high BC bullet, then your turret should still be good out to 700 yds. or so. Just be sure to re-zero at your 6000 elevation before hunting. The dial-ups will be nearly the same as they were at your lower elevation. Beyond 700 yds. the difference becomes more noticable and you should probably not chance a shot.

Do what we used to do. First day on the ground check your zero and your drops at three different ranges at least out to 600yds.

Your error/difference should be consistent.

If you are + .5moa at 100, 300, and 600 or 200, 400, and 800 you should be able to do just what you are thinking and still be in good shape out to the limit of your own bounds.

Thanks for yalls reply. Last night I ran some numbers on a ballistic calculator and they showed exactly what yall are saying. Thanks for the help.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.