Sighting in new Huskemaw on 300 wsm

mark5840

Does using a lead sled help or hurt accuracy? I have a Tikka 300wsm that is a great shooting gun but I'm struggling to get great groups using my lead sled. Any suggestions?

Lead sleds don't allow the gun/platform/shooter to recoil naturally, and puts higher amounts of stress and torque at spots that flex during the process. It's generally frowned upon for zeroing and determining POI, since the POI/accuracy will most likely be different in field conditions. If you want to use a more stable platform than sandbags, you can use the lead sled WITHOUT weight, or do like I do, which is use a cheap MTM plastic cradle that doesn't have enough mass to interrupt the recoil process.

Lead sleds are great for guys who want to shoot minute of deer. Those TV hunters who use a 300 win mag to shoot 75yds out of a box blind At a deer eating corn out of an automatic feeder. The lead sled is not good for anyone wanting to shoot precision groups. The rifle needs to recoil the same as it will when you are shooting at game or it will have a different point of impact.

Attached is a link to a very good article on correctly shooting a light weight rifle.
I own 2 NULA, which incredibly accurate.

Thanks so much!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.