Sighting in a 25 yards...

Bowhunter57

I've talked to a couple of guys that say you can sight a rifle in a 25 yards and it's dead on at 200 yards. Ofcourse, I would not trust this and would want to check it at 200 yards anyway.

I'm a firm believer that "paper doesn't lie" and if you want to know what your rifle's doing at a particular yardage, you have to shoot that yardage to know.

Has anyone heard of or used this method of sighting in at 25 to 200?
Does it work?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

If your shooting a rifle that shoots over 3000 ft sec in my experience it will be about dead on at 300 yds if your dead on at 25. The way I normally bore sight mine is put a 2" dot at 25 line everything up bore, scope all that jazz shoot a few make sure I'm hitting the bottom of that 2" dot and normally I'm very close to being dead on at 250 yds.

This is my experience hope this helped,

Nathan

yea i could see where this might work for some rifles but i would say the same thing as you. If you want to know where it shoots at 200 then shoot at 200. There are so many varables, velocity, scope height, bullet BC and others.

nddodd said:
If your shooting a rifle that shoots over 3000 ft sec in my experience it will be about dead on at 300 yds if your dead on at 25.
nddodd,
I should've mentioned that I'll be sighting in a .25-06, so it'll be over 3000 f.p.s. As long as it gets me within a couple of inches of being dead on at 200 yards, I'll be happy. After I'm close enough at 200, then I can fine tune my P.O.I. without wasting ammo and/or guessing where the rifle's hitting. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

with a 100 grain bullet with a BC of .400 shooting 3300fps if you sight it in at 50 yards then you will be almost dead on at 200. It might work better to sight it in at 50 yards if the gun shoots over 3000 fps. Just an idea:rolleyes:

nddodd,
I should've mentioned that I'll be sighting in a .25-06, so it'll be over 3000 f.p.s. As long as it gets me within a couple of inches of being dead on at 200 yards, I'll be happy. After I'm close enough at 200, then I can fine tune my P.O.I. without wasting ammo and/or guessing where the rifle's hitting. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

That sounds like a good plan. I take my bolt out, and look through the barrel. That gets me on paper, usually 2" from the X at 100 yards. I, then, sight in 2" high. That process usually takes me 6 shots.

According to my balistics calculator at 3300 ft per sec with a bc of .4 if your a half inch low at 25 yds you should be dead on at 200 yds.

Hope this gets you close,
Nathan

I've used 25-40 yards to sight rifles in for friends, using drop charts. I just set zero at 200, and then see how high/low it should be at such given yard. Ofcourse I've told them they have to shoot it at 200 to finish it, but its a pallpark figure. That was before I had a 100yd range in my yard though.

It's an old rule of thumb to get you on paper at 25 and 200 yds, There are a lot of variables that will affect it but in most cases you will be at least 2 inches high at 200 yds if your zero is at 25.

With my 300 RUM shooting a 180 E-Tips @ 3400 fps, a 25 yd zero, zeros me @ 400 yds and puts me 6.8" high @ 200 yds.

If you want to know where you should shoot @ 25 yds for a 200 yd zero then use a calc.

External Ballistics Calculator

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Good shooting,

Mark

Last edited:
Have a rifle zeroed at 100 yrds and in my basement it's 25 feet to my back door so i place my laser sight in the barrel of that rifle mark on the door were the laser and cross hairs are then do the same with the new rifle it will be on paper at 100 yrds then just need to fine tune for what yardage you want it sighed in at.
Some times it can be just that simple.

I bore sight on a door knob and I've always been on paper at 100 yards, then I go from there. Simple but it works.

I'm with MontanaRifleman. If I sight either my .243, 7Mag or .300WinMag dead on at 25yds, they're way high at 100yds. Sometimes up to 5" high. Depends on the bullet/velocity.
I usually start out with my bullet impacting 3-3.5" high at 100yds, but after load development, I run the ballistic calculator based on that particular bullet. I always set it up zeroed at 300yds and adjust the scope to make it fit the projected 100yd POI. I then reset my turrets and shoot at varying lazerd distances to verify the figures. JohnnyK.

A 25 yd zero will not get you dead on at any range. It will get you in the ball park on paper, then you work on your zero at that range.

It is a great start.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.