Sighted in for hunting season

the blur

I took 3 rifles out of the safe in preparation for hunting season. All 3 were about 2" off center. Little high, little right. Same ammo, same 100 or 200 yards.

Why do they move during the off season ?

Quality scopes. Zeiss, Swarx, Vortex..

Did you make sure you put repellent in your safe?

The summer goblins get in the safe and mess with the dials.

In all seriousness, environmental differences, shooting position, a bit of cold weld maybe, gun changes?
What are the gun specs?

2" off is too much for normal handling during a season. I see 2 clicks at most for any rifle I have, thru the year. I'd look at the scope screws and check the stock screws as well.

I took 3 rifles out of the safe in preparation for hunting season. All 3 were about 2" off center. Little high, little right. Same ammo, same 100 or 200 yards.

Why do they move during the off season ?

Quality scopes. Zeiss, Swarx, Vortex..

Usually bad technique if not keeping up on shooting.

How many rounds down the barrel total per rifle?

Parallax?

Atmospheric difference between zeros ?

Action screws loosened up from temps in the safe?

Scope models...?
names are not everything, vortex makes Chinese garbage too. Like the crossfire.

There's a plethora of reasons it COULD shift zero. If not mechanical a lot can do with a muzzle velocity change.

Trigger time is key. I try to get to the range a couple times before my hunt. Due to some run and gun handgun shooting I develop a trigger slap that I do when rifle shooting. Need a few range days to smooth me out.

Did you clean the bores back to bare metal when you put then away?

If so, did they move back to POA once you fouled then or were they still off from last time you shot?

New rear bag, more cheek pressure than last time. When was the last time you shot these or other rifles? If it has been awhile, "cold" shooter syndrome is real.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.