Sight in distance

I am using the same HSLR on my 338, great scope. Based on your drop numbers and your actual impacts, it leads me to believe you may be over correcting. the HSLR uses .5MOA clicks rather than the normal .25MOA. That would lead to double the intended correction which gives you the 5in high. Could be a real easy fix to your problem.

For years I used to zero at 300 yards. Now I zero at 100 and zero my turret. I typically hunt with 3 moa dialed into my turret so that I can shoot point blank to 400 yards in a rush shot. When I have time, I dial where I need to be. Have you shot your gun at 100 yard intervals out to 600 yards on paper and recorded the drops? Doing so will give you a much better picture of what is actually going on, whether bullet bc is off or velocity is off etc. Making sure your 100 yard zero is as close to exact or at least to input with as much accuracy is also very important. If your group at 100 is .25 high, you need to input that number into your program or things won't come out. Make sure to check simple mechanics also such as torque on action screws and if your barrel is free floated to make sure the stock isn't contacting the barrel when the bipod is loaded.

I just don't get it.

Zero at 100 yards....means that you need to dial or hold on EVERYTHING from 200 yards and out.

Zero at 300 (or max PBR) means ZERO dialing/holdover out to 300 yards or so. If you NEED to be exact at say 175, then dial DOWN.

After all, this is LRH...

I just don't get it.

Zero at 100 yards....means that you need to dial or hold on EVERYTHING from 200 yards and out.

Zero at 300 (or max PBR) means ZERO dialing/holdover out to 300 yards or so. If you NEED to be exact at say 175, then dial DOWN.

After all, this is LRH...

Yep.

I may still use the 100 yard range to Zero my 300 yard zero. I will dial up the equivlant MOA from 100 to 300 and set my 0 at 300 or shoot X.X" high at 100. ALL of my hunting rifles have a 300 year zero set on the scope. Again, that doesn't necessairly equate to a zero on a 300 yard range.

Quick shooting conditions can mean "see fur shoot fur" without having to dial up from 100 for a 400 yard shot. Short range aim lower from center of mass. Longer range (estimated past 300 but not too much more than 400 ) aim just below the spine. If you "screw up" your range estimate and the animal is actually 300 yards cross canyon not the 400 you estimate you should still hit fur with a shot on the edge of the vitals. Potentially not so with a 100 yard zero shooting 400.

Last edited:
Grew up with a 300 yard zero and you'd shoot things to high, ruined to many back straps. We changed over to a 100 yard zero and dial for everything else, no more blown back straps or broke backs.

OK...so...dial DOWN....or hold under if you absolutly need to. But I can't imajin that hitting 4" (at most) above POA would put you anywhere near the spine/back straps.

Why anyone would want to have to dial up for a 300 yard shot is beyond me..

Again..just my .02 ...differnt strokes for different folks. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.