Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

If DoD is developing a replacement for the SAW I think that the bolt lugs will be ripped off, barrel extension chewed up @80k psi in no time.
I'm no mettalurgist just have practical experience.

They are also replacing the M249.

Last edited:
Just like Machine Gun Ammo from the days of old, Don't shoot high pressure ammo in guns not designed for it. Single Piece Brass Case Ammo appears to be severely downgraded considering this is an improved case.

FURY case design mirrors the 7mm SGLC Wildcat from days of old, with an identical Shoulder height location only using a 30 degree shoulder instead of the 40 degree used in the original SGLC design. This leaves the case with a somewhat short neck but is more than enough for the short Armor piercing Bullet the Army has designed. In essence the FURY is nothing new at all and just like any Cartridge can benefit from the two piece case design that allows higher pressures without primer pocket failure. (so hold on to your knickers & don't fret)

Original load data for the 7mm SGLC was performance akin to a small magnum cartridge. I don't recall reading where the original Author "Simpson" ever reported any failures due to excessive bolt thrust. These were his handloads and the load data was provided as such. He was seeking maximum performance from the 08 Case.

(WARNING: Never Fire High Pressure Machine Gun Ammunition in a Gun not designed for it. )
Load Data dot com lists performance of 3180fps firing a 130 grain bullet. "Simpson's Good Little Cartridge"
1687193306913.png
1687193386077.png

I just reform the 277 bimetal cases to 6.5 Creedmoor and 308, and even 358 Win.
And in a factory 6.5 Creedmoor rifle with a 24" barrel 140 gr Nosler RDF were fired at over 3150 fps utilizing this case. ..so a 277 hybrid case reformed to 6.5 Creedmoor would likely be close to 3000 fps in a 16" barrel regular dies and case forming proceedures work like most any brass case...it's a fairly easy process. But manufacturers recommend against it, and would void all warranties. But it's there...

6.5X284 smokes the Needmore but you are absolutely correct, it just don't sound cool
Not if you run the new 8.6 x51 bimetal hybrid cases in your 6 5 Creedmoor...
I run the 140 gr Nosler at over 3150 fps in a factory RPR 24" barrel. The 150 gr SMK over 3050 fps and the 147 eldm to 3030 fps.
But settled on 2980 fps for the 150 gr SMK. And 2956 fps ave for the 153 Atip. ...utilizing these SS head hybrid high pressure cases. Also improve the 308 Win, using the 200 gr 715 bc SMK over 2900 fps...

Not if you run the new 8.6 x51 bimetal hybrid cases in your 6 5 Creedmoor...
I run the 140 gr Nosler at over 3150 fps in a factory RPR 24" barrel. The 150 gr SMK over 3050 fps and the 147 eldm to 3030 fps.
But settled on 2980 fps for the 150 gr SMK. And 2956 fps ave for the 153 Atip. ...utilizing these SS head hybrid high pressure cases. Also improve the 308 Win, using the 200 gr 715 bc SMK over 2900 fps...

All you have to do is get some 6.8x51 bimetal hybrid cases form them to 6.5 Creedmoor and see for yourself.
You can witness on video the 277 Fury hybrid case fired in a 277 Fury chronographed the 140 gr and see 300 fps increase over the civilian 6.8 Fury brass case in a 16" barrel and the manufacturer stating 3200 fps in a 24" barrel. Its just basically a 277 bullet in a 308 Win with a 30° shoulder...with an 80,000 rated case head of SS.
Just neck it down, and push the 30° shoulder back a bit and add a .264" bullet and the 6.5 Creedmoor is a whole different cartridge. Works for anything off the 308 case, 243, 7mm-08, 308, 6.5 Creed, even a 6 dasher if you care to do some case work. The improvements are real, some work better than others, and powders to make it all work for all calibers is likely hard to find as the one manufacturer claims over 60 blends tried before settling one the powder...but proven improvement there for those who care to experiment. I have reloaded them several times, and the primer pockets are still tight...these cases will take well over 80,000 psi so be careful using them. And of course reloading them is not recommended and will void factory warranty as many manufacturers say about using reloaded ammunition. As always it's your call, whether to pursue the hybrid cases extra performance increases, or not,...but the extra performance is there for those who choose to pursue it...to deny it exists is foolish.

All you have to do is get some 6.8x51 bimetal hybrid cases form them to 6.5 Creedmoor and see for yourself.
You can witness on video the 277 Fury hybrid case fired in a 277 Fury chronographed the 140 gr and see 300 fps increase over the civilian 6.8 Fury brass case in a 16" barrel and the manufacturer stating 3200 fps in a 24" barrel. Its just basically a 277 bullet in a 308 Win with a 30° shoulder...with an 80,000 rated case head of SS.
Just neck it down, and push the 30° shoulder back a bit and add a .264" bullet and the 6.5 Creedmoor is a whole different cartridge. Works for anything off the 308 case, 243, 7mm-08, 308, 6.5 Creed, even a 6 dasher if you care to do some case work. The improvements are real, some work better than others, and powders to make it all work for all calibers is likely hard to find as the one manufacturer claims over 60 blends tried before settling one the powder...but proven improvement there for those who care to experiment. I have reloaded them several times, and the primer pockets are still tight...these cases will take well over 80,000 psi so be careful using them. And of course reloading them is not recommended and will void factory warranty as many manufacturers say about using reloaded ammunition. As always it's your call, whether to pursue the hybrid cases extra performance increases, or not,...but the extra performance is there for those who choose to pursue it...to deny it exists is foolish.
Where are you buying the bimetallic cases at ?

I'm still waiting, where are you getting the bimetallic cases ?????

Where are you buying the bimetallic cases at ?
I purchased all they had...they are out with no future supplies expected. If the military contracts get filled more will become available. And just maybe in a few years they will be thousands of cheap expanded military cases available to the public...just like the LC brass, you can buy by the thousands, fir reloading.They are being used in machineguns and select fire weapons...and LC has geared up to make them the last I heard. You may be able to buy 20 loaded 277 bimetal hybrid cases and pull bullets...and form into any case that has a 308 case head...I've done 308, 358, and 6.5 Creedmoor, but others in 6 Creedmoor to 7-08 could be made. Regular sizing dies work in forming and resizing...I turn necks to the shoulder...do not want any high pressure points at 80,000 psi. If the military continues with this endeavor cause they want to penetrate body armor of other armies, with short, suppressed barrels, these cases should be available by the truck load...but we tend to be heavily gearing up for war at this time, so the new military hybrid case is hard to aquire and in limited supply. Like BR2 primers, buy as many as the limit will allow, cause they disappear for a year. But that will not always be the case...unless the war goes nuclear, then ya won't have to worry about anything.

So you hoarded all the cases, there are none to be had so it if no use to any of us and even though you saw great velocity gains you backed everything Dow to just regular hum drum run of the mill velocities…….. go figure
I got them when the cases were available, as I already knew the potential, as I'd been eyeballing this development from the beginning...and was too late, when deciding to get the rifle, as I was contemplating on it too long...but jumped on the hybrid cases with both feet. Snooze ya loose, is happening these days, with most everything.
I did donate a few fire formed 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor to a shooting friend to play with.
But for $60 or so you can get into the game, just order the cases in loaded form 277 Fury elete hunter 150 gr. There are a few places still offering 277 Fury hybrid loaded cases in factory ammo. Midwest Gun works I believe still has them on loaded ammo...so pull the bullets, form the case, and reload...while that option is still available, 2 boxes would give ya 40 cases to immediately play with...they are reloadable.
Plus they have Sig Cross rifle parts, and extra barrels .... but no 277 Fury, barrels.
You can buy the 6.5 Creedmoor 18" Cross rifle and load it, with the pulled bullet and resized cases, from New ammo. It will do 3000 fps with 140 gr bullets, in that 18" factory barrel, guaranteed...cause I can do 3150 plus with a 24" Until production improves and/ or the war effort subsides, it's difficult to get components. Always buy ahead, sales, large quantities for discounts, etc...do not hesitate on rare items, even if ya have to pay extra... like primers, always hear "I'm not paying that much"...so I decided I want to shoot, so I bought $1000 worth of primers several times, as they were offered in large lots. Now I have plenty of primers. While everyone else is saying they are gouging the customers ...and of coarse they are. I saw some of the powder markups that have been enormous in many cases as well... scarcity, raises the price.