Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

We got to see this at SHOT this year. I think it is absolutely a game changer. They were tight lipped about the actual pressure that it can handle then and thinking they still are. One thing I gathered is it would make a 308 win run with or even exceed the 300wm. This kind of performance increase without an increase in weight where the military is going to be very interested. At the show they said that it will hit the civilian market and be fully supported for reloading. The way the base locks to the case is very cool. The higher the pressure gets the better the junction works. I thought it was the coolest thing we saw at the show.

The 277 bi-metal case is rated at 80,000 psi.
Couldn't get a 277 fury. So I used the case necked down to 6.5 Creedmoor, with a donor rifle to sacrifice. Been checking for lug set back, and barrel wear. But this case really improves the velocities of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. A dangerous endeavor, and do not do it, according to the manufacturers, the bi-metal cases are not to reloaded. But I did for this experiment. The 6.5 ,Creedmoor will run 150 SMK at 3050 fps...backed off to 3000 fps and ran a bunch...reloaded them 3 times, so far no lose primer pockets no case head swipes. Fireformed a bunch more today with 140 gr averaged around 3124 fps for all 15 rds. 147 eldm were runing 3039 average fps on fireforming. Much faster than the brass cases 6.5 Creedmoor at 2600 fps...to maybe 2800 with the right powders. In the same barrel. Bi- metal cases at high pressure add performance...but at what cost. This is my personal experiment, not recommended by any manufacturer. But I hope they the bugs worked out of the accidental discharge, trigger problem, and longer barrels available. Although a 16" light 277 hunting rifle would be a nice back country hunting tool.

Yeah, I wouldn't think that barrel life would be one of it's selling points. I wonder what a box of the ammo is going to cost. It's going to be interesting to see where & how far it goes with the consumer. Sig claims it to outperform the 6.5 creedmoor at 1000 yards. That statement may be all that's needed for someone to buy one, especially if one of the big rifle manufacturers offers it in a $250 rifle.
Don't you need to add another zero to that price point?:)

The military is looking for something that will penetrate the Chinese vests.

The Tech of a steel screw-on case head is an old idea from the late '60s. There are some issues that will crop up later on down the road such as metal fatigue on bolts and lug abutments. Short barrel life will be a given, but you can bet that a different metal will be used in the barrels, Bartline has one such new metal that extends barrel life. Bullet coatings may be part of a new way to extend barrel life, reducing the engraving pressures.

Another issue that is bound to crop up is the relative strength of various actions, get ready for a shock.

There is also new technology on plastic cases to be used in std military ammo, but I have not heard anything about it for a while. The plastic is supposed to give a more uniform case wall thickness and a more consistent grip on the bullet.

Instead of increasing pressure and velocity for the Chinese vest, they need to develop a new flechette bullet. Take one of the tiny steel flechetts from our antipersonnel bombs/artillery and incase it inside a lead/copper bullet. When the lead/copper stops penetrating, the sharp pointed steel flechette continues to penetrate.

There's an experiment for one of you guys who like to modify bullets. You can buy these flechettes at Army surplus stores. Seen them there.

Attachments

• FlechettesInHand.jpg
    FlechettesInHand.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't think that barrel life would be one of it's selling points. I wonder what a box of the ammo is going to cost. It's going to be interesting to see where & how far it goes with the consumer. Sig claims it to outperform the 6.5 creedmoor at 1000 yards. That statement may be all that's needed for someone to buy one, especially if one of the big rifle manufacturers offers it in a $250 rifle.
A standard 270 Win outperforms the 6.5 CM out to 1k yards also, has good barrel life, ammo is common and readily available, a superior hunting load. Only place 6.5 CM wins is in BC. I wonder why we need the .277 Fury with all the other 6.8 (and anything near it) options available.

A standard 270 Win outperforms the 6.5 CM out to 1k yards also, has good barrel life, ammo is common and readily available, a superior hunting load. Only place 6.5 CM wins is in BC. I wonder why we need the .277 Fury with all the other 6.8 (and anything near it) options available.
Because you can't get a 270 to shoot in an AR style rifle at 3000 fps in a 16" barrel and that was the requirement.

That penetration of the battle vest requirement was up to 600 yards ?
I think.
Tall order.
3000 fps
140 grain bullet?
16 inch barrel
600 yard plus fire fights...across valleys...
I hope it all works out.

Instead of increasing pressure and velocity for the Chinese vest, they need to develop a new flechette bullet. Take one of the tiny steel flechetts from our antipersonnel bombs/artillery and incase it inside a lead/copper bullet. When the lead/copper stops penetrating, the sharp pointed steel flechette continues to penetrate.

There's an experiment for one of you guys who like to modify bullets. You can buy these flechettes at Army surplus stores. Seen them there.

Shotguns

We had those flechettes in our 12 guage shotgun shells in Viet Nam when I was in the Marines. They worked great shooting through the bush.

Last edited:
American troops in Viet Nam had shotguns with flechettes. I remember taking several of the shells apart, and was surprised at the number of little darts they held. OTOH, I talked to a Marine who had exchanged several shots at short range with the enemy, and said the flechettes didn't appear to have any effect on the enemy troop. He was confident his aim was good, although he admitted the other guy was shooting back at him and that might have affected his ability to get off good clean shots.

The 277 bi-metal case is rated at 80,000 psi.
Couldn't get a 277 fury. So I used the case necked down to 6.5 Creedmoor, with a donor rifle to sacrifice. Been checking for lug set back, and barrel wear. But this case really improves the velocities of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. A dangerous endeavor, and do not do it, according to the manufacturers, the bi-metal cases are not to reloaded. But I did for this experiment. The 6.5 ,Creedmoor will run 150 SMK at 3050 fps...backed off to 3000 fps and ran a bunch...reloaded them 3 times, so far no lose primer pockets no case head swipes. Fireformed a bunch more today with 140 gr averaged around 3124 fps for all 15 rds. 147 eldm were runing 3039 average fps on fireforming. Much faster than the brass cases 6.5 Creedmoor at 2600 fps...to maybe 2800 with the right powders. In the same barrel. Bi- metal cases at high pressure add performance...but at what cost. This is my personal experiment, not recommended by any manufacturer. But I hope they the bugs worked out of the accidental discharge, trigger problem, and longer barrels available. Although a 16" light 277 hunting rifle would be a nice back country hunting tool.
I am confused. Are you talking about running brass cases up to 80K PSI, or modifying 277 Fury cases to shoot in a 6.5 CM rifle?
A picture of your experimental cases would be great.