Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

Cartridge is basically a 270-08 which on a 24" bbl can make 3000 fps w/130s.

After reviewing all the data here: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/barrel-length-as-related-to-velocity.3779268/

I think 30 fps/inch is reasonable. Stretching that 277 Fury bbl out to 26" would add 300 fps. 3300 w/a 140 gr is humming but but easily matched in a 270 Weatherby or 270 WSM.

It would seem that unless you wish to run a very short barrel or can build an AR strong enough, it makes little sense for most hunters.

I don't understand all the hoopla. I've been getting 3250+ fps out of my 20" BAR chambered in 270 WIN - with 130 gr pills and RL26 - with no signs of pressures @ 63.5 grains. Standard Hornady brass.

270WSM could do that without breaking a sweat.
You can't compare your handloaded ammo to off the shelf cartridges.... Plus we are talking a short action here...Apples to oranges comparison. But I get it. It's all about what works for you and your 270 win offers similar ballistics, so why change?

You can't compare your handloaded ammo to off the shelf cartridges.... Plus we are talking a short action here...Apples to oranges comparison. But I get it. It's all about what works for you and your 270 win offers similar ballistics, so why change?
What he is trying to say is that there are already plenty of off the shelf rounds that already fit the bill or out perform the Fury , I guess they just aint complicated enough or have a catchy name

What he is trying to say is that there are already plenty of off the shelf rounds that already fit the bill or out perform the Fury , I guess they just aint complicated enough or have a catchy name

I know exactly what he's saying... Balliistic's wise nothing much has changed since the 80's. Good brass and new efficient powders make those old cartridges shine. Doesn't mean we shouldn't push the envelope with new tech... This is a cartridge designed for the military just like the 308 win, 30-06, 338 Lapua, 300 Norma, 6.5 Swede ,etc...etc.... It's definitely an improvement that has merit in our hunters world. Nice to have options...

It seems anytime something new comes along there are those detractors that say "I can't see the point of" or "My old school cartridge can do all that too!".... I used to own a 92 Dodge Cummins P/up. Now I own an "18". Both pull a 5 ton trailer down the road. Either one will get the job done.

I know exactly what he's saying... Balliistic's wise nothing much has changed since the 80's. Good brass and new efficient powders make those old cartridges shine. Doesn't mean we shouldn't push the envelope with new tech... This is a cartridge designed for the military just like the 308 win, 30-06, 338 Lapua, 300 Norma, 6.5 Swede ,etc...etc.... It's definitely an improvement that has merit in our hunters world. Nice to have options...

It seems anytime something new comes along there are those detractors that say "I can't see the point of" or "My old school cartridge can do all that too!".... I used to own a 92 Dodge Cummins P/up. Now I own an "18". Both pull a 5 ton trailer down the road. Either one will get the job done.
I agree with you 100%, it just seems way over complicated for its yield to me, I guess I'm getting Old

Lol, I'll also be calling TBAC before I run an 80,000 round out of a 16" barrel on one of their cans.
1/2 the draw of the short barrel is room for the can but I don't know enough of the engineering behind them to know what pressure rating can will need to handle the 277 fury.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will weigh in. If I have a can rated for 300 win mag (66,000-ish?) I'd be worried about my can with higher pressure and shorter barrel?
Plus, you're 100% right, it'll still be loud.

Cold Bore Miracle who works at Desert Tech has been shooting the 277 Fury for a while now. I don't believe it is 80K psi, that's nuts. He uses a can on his DT shooting it. Check it out on Instagram

Id like to see what the "MIL specs" are for the contract ammo and rifle--- SIG claims they are using a proprietary barrel coating that makes the barrel last "an incredibly long time" --- I assume the MIL will have a minimum barrel life in their specs--also waiting to see what the "saami" specs on the 277 furry are also --it is suposed to be released mid this year iirc

unfortunately-- this means that the public will not see any ammo or rifles in 277 furry for a while since SIG will have to fulfill its MIL contract first
I have heard the same about the barrel lasting a long time time due to a special coating, I also heard that Sig has been working very closely with Nosler to produce bullets for the 277 Fury, and as soon as SAAMI specs come out, they are looking to release information to other rifle manufacturers for support of the new cartridge, as well as offering 2 lines of ammunition for the cartridge, one line a less expensive target version with an all brass case, ( & less pressure), and the standard 2 piece,(stainless/brass), hybrid line. Sig also claims that the 2 piece hybrid design case will be reloadable. This should be interesting to see how this pans out, as I'm hoping it'll be more successful than the 357Sig cartridge.

I'm new, and getting into reloading, but if you're using the same gun everytime I thought you didn't need to resize the case because it fills your chamber

Cartridge is basically a 270-08 which on a 24" bbl can make 3000 fps w/130s.

After reviewing all the data here: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/barrel-length-as-related-to-velocity.3779268/

I think 30 fps/inch is reasonable. Stretching that 277 Fury bbl out to 26" would add 300 fps. 3300 w/a 140 gr is humming but but easily matched in a 270 Weatherby or 270 WSM.

It would seem that unless you wish to run a very short barrel or can build an AR strong enough, it makes little sense for most hunters.

You are correct that a 270 WSM will match the performance of the .277 Fury. The only advantages to the hunting community is.
Advantages:
1) Shorter case allowing the longer, higher BC bullets to still fit in a a short action magazine.
2) New, faster powders will allow a shorter barrel for the same performance and because of this, reduce the overall weight and length of your rifle.
3) One more round in the magazine over a magnum caliber

Disadvantages:
1) The availability of reloading components
2) Initially the cost of brass will be likely to be much higher.$$
3) It will be LOUDER!!
4) Shorter barrel life
5) Probably require a labeled 80Kpsi pressure approved high strength action.... Due to liability issues.

Disadvantages:
1) The availability of reloading components SIG WILL PROVIDE
2) Initially the cost of brass will be likely to be much higher.$$ YES
3) It will be LOUDER!! ONLY WITH SHORT BBL OR W/O CANS
4) Shorter barrel life NO WORSE THAN 270 WEATHERBY
5) Probably require a labeled 80Kpsi pressure approved high strength action.... Due to liability issues. WILL HAVE A SPECIAL SIG AR FOR IT

Beyond the AR/MG application hard to envision any application for it.

Disadvantages:
1) The availability of reloading components SIG WILL PROVIDE
2) Initially the cost of brass will be likely to be much higher.$$ YES
3) It will be LOUDER!! ONLY WITH SHORT BBL OR W/O CANS
4) Shorter barrel life NO WORSE THAN 270 WEATHERBY
5) Probably require a labeled 80Kpsi pressure approved high strength action.... Due to liability issues. WILL HAVE A SPECIAL SIG AR FOR IT

Beyond the AR/MG application hard to envision any application for it.

Yep !! On all counts...

Just remember that other manufacturers were also working on their own versions of high pressure rifle platforms using proprietary cartridges. This is the future...like it or not. In a couple decades there will be rifles sold that can handle these high pressures. Nothing really new here in that respect. The old 45-70, 45 Colt, 6.5 Swede, 416 Rigby etc...These all can be loaded to much higher pressures in modern firearms but not in the older one's safely.

Just imagine a 338 Norma, a 6.5 CM or a 308 Win!! with this technology....Oh wait, it's already here....!

Go to 7:50 to 9:00