Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

I'm sure it's just the start. Could be a game changer for AR platform

More likely a game changer for a number of firearms magazines that will be full of articles singing the praises of the new cartridge and the new powder.

BTW, I would interested in learning more about that powder! Will it be available on the retail market?

Well, for those of us who must have the latest in modern cartridge technology, here it is. 80kpsi brass & proprietary barrel coatings to improve barrel life. I'm too deeply invested into old technology to be able to afford this sort of thing 😂
Think of it like electronics.. very expensive at first but afterwards it becomes cheap as everyone has one and the next stage is created

I'm sure it's just the start. Could be a game changer for AR platform
problem with the AR style chassis is probably going to be in the bolt/barrel extension lock up strength, the upper/lower dont really hold the pressure due to the bolt/extension design --but bolt thrust on a .473" with 80000psi will probably over stress the current bolt lug design, I'm sure it will be figured out, but I'm sure the design and strength will have to change for the full 80000 psi version of this cartridge in an AR style chassis-- there is already full brass cartridges available for reloading (https://www.rccbrass.com/277-fury/) and ptg reamers (http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/cham...o-pix-/19564-277-sig-fury-chamber-reamer.html)

one problem I see with all this is the strength issue, SIG says that you need a stronger receiver/bolt and so far I don't think any rifle action manufacture has agreed that their action will be safe for the new 80000 psi chamber pressure--yet you can buy a reamer, and brass cartridges and make a "low pressure" version of this right now--then some poor schmuck is gonna stick the high pressure ammo in a receiver/bolt combo that may eventually fail as its not designed to handle the 80000 psi

The .277 FURY, also known as the .277 SIG FURY,[a] is a centerfire rifle cartridge announced by SIG Sauer in late 2019.[1] It utilizes a hybrid case of brass and steel to support a chamber pressure of 80,000 psi (551.6 MPa).[1] The high chamber pressure enables a projectile speed of 3,000 feet per second (914 m/s) from a 16-inch (406 mm) barrel.[2]

There will be tons of 7 and 30 magnums for sale. Can only imagine the velocity from a L-o-n-g barrel. As for bbl life Nitriding will be standard. JOC is looking down and laughing !!
Nitride will never do it. You need nikasil for that👍

My apologies but I'm not allowed to share to much information for know. My guess is by September or October I can start relaying any info you guys are interested in.
Standard actions like the Rem700 are rated to 80k but I wouldn't try to test that rating. I have very little knowledge of the AR platform. That was pure speculation on my part

I'd imagine the big weatherby actions might become popular for semi customs if these take of

My apologies but I'm not allowed to share to much information for know. My guess is by September or October I can start relaying any info you guys are interested in.
Standard actions like the Rem700 are rated to 80k but I wouldn't try to test that rating. I have very little knowledge of the AR platform. That was pure speculation on my part
usually proof loads are around 25% over the operating pressures--so technically, the 277 furry would need to be proof tested to 100,000psi chamber pressure to pass safety tests --- the bolt thrust increase from 60000 to 80000 psi is about 1.3 times so I'm not sure that standard actions or bolts in AR's or bolt action rifles would successfully pass the proof load testing of this new cartridge (hence the reason SIG claims that a new stronger receiver was made for this cartridge) --yes , it could probably be used in a standard action--but for how long before wear or damage became a reality

Yeah, I wouldn't think that barrel life would be one of it's selling points. I wonder what a box of the ammo is going to cost. It's going to be interesting to see where & how far it goes with the consumer. Sig claims it to outperform the 6.5 creedmoor at 1000 yards. That statement may be all that's needed for someone to buy one, especially if one of the big rifle manufacturers offers it in a $250 rifle.
The 270 Win and 270 wsm both outperform the Creedmoor at 1000 yds already? All you need is the right barrel twist. My 1:8 twist 270 wsm with 170 EOL'S at 3000 fps beats up a lot of cartridges. Just need to take the training wheels off the standard .277 cal rifles. (1:10 twist barrels)