Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

Here is some info I do know about this cartridge

1) Don't expect the .277 Fury to be available untill mid to late fall. ( delayed due to CV19 )
2) The new Sig Cross rifle should be available by mid to late summer In 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmore.
3) The cartridge will be capable to be reloaded, just don't expect the dies to be available at introduction and probably not from Sig...
4) Other Fury calibers ranging from .257 thru .308 will become available if the popularity of the cartridge should take off...

Sig appears to be playing around with the higher pressure case designs in some other available conventional calibers Used by the military.

Appropriate higher strength actions will have to be used. Remember the highest pressure is felt after the bullet has traveled a few inches down the barrel.

Don't expect the Fury cartridges to offer any more performance then a SAUM cartridge of same caliber and bullet weight. It will offer SAUM performance using a 2-4 inch shorter barrel though... That's perfect for running a suppressor. It will offer magnum performance in a smaller lighter package. That is a big win for the military as well as the hunter.

Pictures of the 277 Furry case.

Attachments

• Resized_20200510_171003.jpeg
    Resized_20200510_171003.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Resized_20200510_170953.jpeg
    Resized_20200510_170953.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 318
Ok boys and girls, can you say 80,000 psi. Looks like this cartridge may be around for a little while any way. I just wonder if Remington, Ruger, Savage Browning, etc... feel comfortable about chambering up some bolt guns in their current models for this 80kpsi cartridge. Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to rush out and buy one. I'm just curious. I'm also curious if sig got the ammunition contract as well. Wild cat folks have something new to tinker with now. I'm not promoting or bashing this cartridge, just interested to see where it goes with the consumer sporting arms market.

The .277 FURY, also known as the .277 SIG FURY,[a] is a centerfire rifle cartridgeannounced by SIG Sauer in late 2019.[1] It utilizes a hybrid case of brass and steel to support a chamber pressure of 80,000 psi (551.6 MPa).[1] The high chamber pressure enables a projectile speed of 3,000 feet per second (914 m/s) from a 16-inch (406 mm) barrel.[2]
Would be interesting to see what a 30+ " barrel would do...

My 7/08 AI will do 3,000 ft/sec without trashing the cases so whats the big deal, The 308 will do 3200+ with 130's and 3000 ft/sec with 150's with out all the problems I see coming. I understand that it takes time to develop new things. And besides, that when I was afflicted with the overload syndrome, I had problems blowing primers and cutting the bolt face. I have seen nothing on how they addressed this primer problem. Cup strength and sealing the primer to prevent blow by.

I have dealt with propitiatory powders for years but primers will have to be addressed also.

Waiting

J E CUSTOM

My 7/08 AI will do 3,000 ft/sec without trashing the cases so whats the big deal, The 308 will do 3200+ with 130's and 3000 ft/sec with 150's with out all the problems I see coming. I understand that it takes time to develop new things. And besides, that when I was afflicted with the overload syndrome, I had problems blowing primers and cutting the bolt face. I have seen nothing on how they addressed this primer problem. Cup strength and sealing the primer to prevent blow by.

I have dealt with propitiatory powders for years but primers will have to be addressed also.

Waiting

J E CUSTOM
I'm rite there with you J.E.
765DB0BB-A858-4DAD-96CF-00109D068287.gif

Waiting

J E CUSTOM

Yes, it will take a few years to sort all this out at the handloaders level. A 270 WSM will do everything ballistically the same as a .277 Fury. The big advantage that is really attractive to me is that the .277 fury will give us WSM/SAUM performance in a 4" shorter barrel and I will then run a suppressor. Should make for an awesome pig or woods gun package.

Yes, it will take a few years to sort all this out at the handloaders level. A 270 WSM will do everything ballistically the same as a .277 Fury. The big advantage that is really attractive to me is that the .277 fury will give us WSM/SAUM performance in a 4" shorter barrel and I will then run a suppressor. Should make for an awesome pig or woods gun package.

I don't think this will be the last of steel case heads