Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

Horse owners had no interest in a Model T.

A bi-metallic case running at 80K may have great promise for ELR shooting. A 20-25% velocity increase would both extend range and flatten trajectory.

Nitriding would ensure acceptable barrel life.
You are absolutely correct, but as stated it looks in reloadable and in my opinion the ballistics are nothing spectacular other than the 80,000psi which seems astronomical and hard on equipment

Amazing how much a cool sounding name can do for something that can be either mediocre or not needed or both. Ref: Creedmore I'm waiting on someone to come out with 338 or 416 Claymore (Advertisement: A single sub-moa round will destroy everything in 15ft circle at 2.5 miles) 😂
I couldn't have said it better myself, I can't wait for the what kind of scope for a Fury debacle

You are absolutely correct, but as stated it looks in reloadable and in my opinion the ballistics are nothing spectacular other than the 80,000psi which seems astronomical and hard on equipment
I think the 270 wsm would do nearly the same thing. Just less rounds in the magazine with the wsm. I could see it being a military advantage as far as being lighter weight ammo and the fact that they want it for a belt fed machine gun but I don't see myself going out and buying one.

I couldn't find the original article that said they won, this is another that I found.

thanks, it looks like they were stating they were selected as a finalist to NGSW not the winner of that competition. I believe the winner for weapons systems and ammo isn't due to be selected until 2021. Right now it's Textron, GD, and Sig. Sig is the only one with ammo so far and they are selling it civilian side regardless.

I am personally rooting for sig because I'm excited for a 6.8x51 MCX-SPEAR.

Sig hasn't won this contract, yet. They are one of several companies that were down selected and received contracts to provide guns and ammo for further testing. I think they will win but definitely haven't yet. The title is this thread is misleading.

The military contract is an interesting subject if you look into it. Basically it is and R&D contract.

I love innovation and forward progress in shooting sports but this one is a bit hard to wrap my head around. The PSI is not a problem but the overall process of managing the components etc is. Reloading, case suppliers, case life, .277?????, etc. We are all enamored with velocity, duh, so the appeal for hunters is definitely there with a short barrel and adding a suppressor. However, if sig holds the patent etc how long would it be before the other manufacturers can be involved? It'll be very interesting to watch this develop over time. I know 1 guy who has one and he seems happy but he doesn't shoot several thousand rounds a year like the rest of us.

270 wsm, RL16, 130 gr.

Attachments

• 43AF7270-9AF7-426C-9970-492F6351CD3D.jpeg
    43AF7270-9AF7-426C-9970-492F6351CD3D.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 262
Amazing how much a cool sounding name can do for something that can be either mediocre or not needed or both. Ref: Creedmore I'm waiting on someone to come out with 338 or 416 Claymore (Advertisement: A single sub-moa round will destroy everything in 15ft circle at 2.5 miles) 😂
Very funny! I love it. Fads drive everything - even guns. My son has a 6.5x284 Norma and it is a serious shooting bugger - and it has been around for quite a few years. More velocity than a "Creed", but didn't have the "cool" name.

Sig hasn't won this contract, yet. They are one of several companies that were down selected and received contracts to provide guns and ammo for further testing. I think they will win but definitely haven't yet. The title is this thread is misleading.
👍 I saw another article with the headline that they won. The article itself led me to believe they were the winner of the three, but that may have been fake news.

Very funny! I love it. Fads drive everything - even guns. My son has a 6.5x284 Norma and it is a serious shooting bugger - and it has been around for quite a few years. More velocity than a "Creed", but didn't have the "cool" name.
6.5X284 smokes the Needmore but you are absolutely correct, it just don't sound cool