Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

Something else that there is to think about with this cartridge if it is to be reloaded by the consumer: interpreting pressure signs may prove to be very difficult with a stainless case head. Pressure could be judged by velocity but I would really like to have something else to go along with that if possible. Also with the brass to stainless joint, it will be interesting to see if this will be an advantage or disadvantage as far as case life upon reloading.

Id like to see what the "MIL specs" are for the contract ammo and rifle--- SIG claims they are using a proprietary barrel coating that makes the barrel last "an incredibly long time" --- I assume the MIL will have a minimum barrel life in their specs--also waiting to see what the "saami" specs on the 277 furry are also --it is suposed to be released mid this year iirc

unfortunately-- this means that the public will not see any ammo or rifles in 277 furry for a while since SIG will have to fulfill its MIL contract first
I've got a notion that the military ammo may be loaded with a 135 smk.

Something else that there is to think about with this cartridge if it is to be reloaded by the consumer: interpreting pressure signs may prove to be very difficult with a stainless case head. Pressure could be judged by velocity but I would really like to have something else to go along with that if possible. Also with the brass to stainless joint, it will be interesting to see if this will be an advantage or disadvantage as far as case life upon reloading.
Right now, I doubt you could load it to "over pressure " as sig is supposedly using a new "special powder" not yet available to the public to achieve its velocity/pressure-- it's similar to the 270Redding, not sure you could stuff enough powder ot the case to get 80000psi

It's all speculation untill we see the specifications and real world application/data.

I think it could be "the next frontier" of ammunition, but we will have to wait and see

Right now, I doubt you could load it to "over pressure " as sig is supposedly using a new "special powder" not yet available to the public to achieve its velocity/pressure-- it's similar to the 270Redding, not sure you could stuff enough powder ot the case to get 80000psi

It's all speculation untill we see the specifications and real world application/data.

I think it could be "the next frontier" of ammunition, but we will have to wait and see
If it catches on with the general consumer, it may not be the last stainless case headed cartridge we will ever see.

I'd love to see some pressure readings on some loads from this forum
I know 7mm sherman max is running 75-80k psi when big psi signs show up. That's a given. I'm sure most my stuff that's a grain below ejector in adg brass is running north of 70k psi. As components get better we get to increase performance by adding more fuel to the fire.

There was a significant amount of factory 270wsm loadings that had to be near 70kpsi. It was difficult to duplicate some of those velocities before some of the newer powders such as RL26 came out. The fired cases showed that they were hot also. I had factory 150 gr bullets run 3280 in the 270 wsm. I couldn't load a 150 to get that kind of velocity before pressure signs showed up. But they showed up on the factory ammo anyway.

The .277 FURY, also known as the .277 SIG FURY,[a] is a centerfire rifle cartridge announced by SIG Sauer in late 2019.[1] It utilizes a hybrid case of brass and steel to support a chamber pressure of 80,000 psi (551.6 MPa).[1] The high chamber pressure enables a projectile speed of 3,000 feet per second (914 m/s) from a 16-inch (406 mm) barrel.[2]

There will be tons of 7 and 30 magnums for sale. Can only imagine the velocity from a L-o-n-g barrel. As for bbl life Nitriding will be standard. JOC is looking down and laughing !!

The .277 FURY, also known as the .277 SIG FURY,[a] is a centerfire rifle cartridge announced by SIG Sauer in late 2019.[1] It utilizes a hybrid case of brass and steel to support a chamber pressure of 80,000 psi (551.6 MPa).[1] The high chamber pressure enables a projectile speed of 3,000 feet per second (914 m/s) from a 16-inch (406 mm) barrel.[2]

There will be tons of 7 and 30 magnums for sale. Can only imagine the velocity from a L-o-n-g barrel. As for bbl life Nitriding will be standard. JOC is looking down and laughing !!
[/QUOTE
Sig has already said that there will be more caliber sizes coming in the steel headed case.