Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

DJ Fergus

Ok boys and girls, can you say 80,000 psi. Looks like this cartridge may be around for a little while any way. I just wonder if Remington, Ruger, Savage Browning, etc... feel comfortable about chambering up some bolt guns in their current models for this 80kpsi cartridge. Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to rush out and buy one. I'm just curious. I'm also curious if sig got the ammunition contract as well. Wild cat folks have something new to tinker with now. I'm not promoting or bashing this cartridge, just interested to see where it goes with the consumer sporting arms market.

Yeah, I wouldn't think that barrel life would be one of it's selling points. I wonder what a box of the ammo is going to cost. It's going to be interesting to see where & how far it goes with the consumer. Sig claims it to outperform the 6.5 creedmoor at 1000 yards. That statement may be all that's needed for someone to buy one, especially if one of the big rifle manufacturers offers it in a $250 rifle.

I can't imagine that barrel lasts very long at all.
Id like to see what the "MIL specs" are for the contract ammo and rifle--- SIG claims they are using a proprietary barrel coating that makes the barrel last "an incredibly long time" --- I assume the MIL will have a minimum barrel life in their specs--also waiting to see what the "saami" specs on the 277 furry are also --it is suposed to be released mid this year iirc

unfortunately-- this means that the public will not see any ammo or rifles in 277 furry for a while since SIG will have to fulfill its MIL contract first

From what I understand, 7 twist is what sig went with. While I do think they went the right direction with that is seems like quite a bit of twist for a 135-140gr bullet.

I'd love to see some pressure readings on some loads from this forum
I'm sure they would be way on up there. There's probably plenty of 70kpsi loads here. I don't doubt that some of the factory ammo I was running in the two 270wsm rifles I used to have was near 70kpsi. They would flatten primers & leave ejector marks just as bad as some of the hottest handloads I've done in other cartridges.

Yeah, I wouldn't think that barrel life would be one of it's selling points. I wonder what a box of the ammo is going to cost. It's going to be interesting to see where & how far it goes with the consumer. Sig claims it to outperform the 6.5 creedmoor at 1000 yards. That statement may be all that's needed for someone to buy one, especially if one of the big rifle manufacturers offers it in a $250 rifle.
tenor.gif

Recent Posts