Sig Whiskey5 won’t hold zero

FIGJAM

I recently bought a sig whiskey5 5-25x52 for my 204. I took it out after rock chucks 4 times last week and the elevation kept creeping up or down on me, like 3 or 4 inches. Windage was always fine. I had to re-zero it at the beginning of each day. I was spinning the turrets a little bit, but only out to 350 yards with a 100 yard zero. It is mounted in talley lighweights and the gun is a vssfII (its an accurate gun). I double checked the rings with my wheeler torque wrench and they were good. The gun was stored in a padded case driving around, same type of case my 223 with a vortex pst was stored in during the same trip and it didn't have any problems holding zero. I am pretty sure it didn't take any hard hits or get bounced around - and if it was just one time I could chalk it up to something like that, but 4 different times losing zero has to be the scope?

This is my first sig scope - did I just get a lemon? Anybody else have any similar problems with a whiskey5 or any sig scope for that matter? I haven't reached out to Sig yet, I was going to do that tomorrow ...I am wondering if I made a mistake going with Sig and should kick it down the road? Any thoughts?

I have no experience with that scope, though I plan on getting one for a 338 Norma build I have in the works. I can tell you however, that sig's customer support is very good, if it is the scope, so rest easy.

I had a kilo 2000 that, over a couple years, I scratched the laser lense up pretty bad, and it's ranging performance degraded significantly. Totally my fault for not taking better care of it, I was hard on it. I called sig, asked if I could get it worked on, they emailed me a return label, I sent it in, and a week later recieved a tracking number for a brand new kilo 2200 free of charge. So if you have a lemon, your certainly covered.

I returned a 3-15x44 whiskey 5 because I couldn't get the zero stop to set and maintain zero. I wasted a lot of ammo and spent a lot of frustrating time with thatscop and just gave up on it. Maybe your zero stop is slipping like mine was?

Mine was one of the newer black models...which was nice to look at and that electronic level was great, but the zero stop system was terrible.

I returned a 3-15x44 whiskey 5 because I couldn't get the zero stop to set and maintain zero. I wasted a lot of ammo and spent a lot of frustrating time with thatscop and just gave up on it. Maybe your zero stop is slipping like mine was?

Mine was one of the newer black models...which was nice to look at and that electronic level was great, but the zero stop system was terrible.
When you sent it back did they fix it?

I hated the zero stop system so much I returned it to the retailer for a nightforce. I didn't even want to try and mess with another model.

But I would be shocked if they didn't take care of you. Especially if it's a new scope...

but the zero stop system was terrible.

Can't get worse than Burris's idea of a "zero stop" on their veracity line, where they just put a pin in a groove and give you max 1 whole turn of the turret minus 1 moa. Actually lets not give them any idea's, they might find a way to make it worse.

I just wanted to give an update on my Sig Electro Optics customer service experience - it was AWFUL. I just got my whiskey 5 back from them after they had it for 6 weeks. It came with a note saying the scope was fine, there is nothing wrong with it and I need to do a better job mounting it. Needless to say I was ****ed...So I called them up and they sent me to a guy who does the testing. I told him I know the scope wouldn't hold zero, I checked my rings, used a torque wrench etc. and I expressed my frustration that they didn't do anything to fix it after having it for 6 weeks. This guy has the umitigated gall to tell me that they get 1000's of scopes returned to them with claims they don't hold zero and every scope They test functions flawlessly. He proceeds to tell me that 100% of the time the customer isn't mounting the scope correctly. He then asks me if I used a picatiny rail - I told him I do not. A few minutes later he asks me if I was sure I wasn't using a picatiny rail - my response was no. A few minutes later he asked me a third time if I was using a picatiny rail to which I responded "seriously? I am not an idiot, quit asking me that question, the answer isn't going to change". They want me to send my scope back in so they can look at it again, eye roll. The scope also came back with some white sticker residue all over it - ***? The guy was a real jerk - treated me poorly and I never want to do business with this company again. Too bad - I really liked the glass, it was clear and the scope matched the urban camo paint job I just got on my hs precision stock

There are a lot of good scope companies out there, my humble recommendation is to is to buy from somebody besides SIG. I have dealt with Vortex a few times and they treated me awesome - even when it was my fault the scope was jacked up, had nothing to do with their workmanship.

*update*. I got a call from the supervisor, who apologized for my experience and replaced my scope. I haven't had a chance to mount it and test it yet, but I am a little less fired up than I was a couple weeks ago. Sometimes you just have to talk to the right people.

Last edited:
Not surprised, mine was junk. I am so happy I was able to return mine to the retailer and not have to deal with the customer service - I know the frustration and hate to hear you had to go through that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts