Sig SHR 970 barrels

Mercracing

Does anyone know anything about these rifles? I have one in 300WM, and I'm thinking about trying to get a new barrel made for it. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance!

It's probably not going to happen. The bolt locks into the barrel extention. It isn't a normal receiver. It was built as a switch barrel rifle.

I had one in 30-06 when Wal-Mart was blowing them out because they were discontinued. I paid $400 for mine back in 2002. They had 4 of them left, I should have bought them all. Retail on them back then was between $700-$800. One of the most accurate hunting rifles I've ever owned.

CDNN had the extra barrels for a little while after that. They wanted $400 IIRC for an extra barrel, even back then.

I called SIG USA once I finally got around to realizing what an awesome rifle it was. The story I got at the time was this...

Apparently, someone at the factory overseas made some kind of huge pricing mistake. One big shipment of those rifles came over, and they basically sold for less than it cost to make them. SIG told the importer, SIG USA, that if more were going to come in, then SIG USA was gonna have to pay up.

This meant that the second shipment was going to have to sell for almost double what the first shipment sold for. So, they stayed right where they were.

I enquired about getting one on special order. I was told that they could make it happen, but it was going to cost about $1300 at the time (2004).

Sorry I can't help, but I thought you might be interested in the back story.

That's mostly what I've heard before. I would wonder how much $ it would cost to have someone make one for me.

That's mostly what I've heard before. I would wonder how much $ it would cost to have someone make one for me.
The problem might be that they would have to take the barrel extension off of yours as either a pattern or a donor. Who knows how those are put together. They might be just screwed together, they might be pinned and welded together.

You might end up destroying the one you have to find out that making another isn't doable. If that one is shot out, then you got nothing to lose.

Gotcha. I didn't look at it that close, I didn't know there was a barrel extension. I thought there was just the pin on the bottom and thought someone like LRI or similar could make one.

Gotcha. I didn't look at it that close, I didn't know there was a barrel extension. I thought there was just the pin on the bottom and thought someone like LRI or similar could make one.
It has been about 15 years since I had one in my hands. It wouldn't hurt anything to have a real professional look at it. I really don't mean to discourage you.

Questions about these rifles come up now and again. If you found a solution, it would be nice to have that answer to direct folks to.

I have one. A 970 SHR (wood stock) that I bought new in the early 2000's. Came with a .300 Win Mag barrel originally. Over the years I have acquired 3 more barrels. 25.06, 30.06, and .270. I also managed to score a non-magnum bolt (needed to run non-magnum calibers like .270), numerous magazines both magnum and regular and I also just got a STR (synthetic) stock. I am still eagerly looking for the .308 barrel. But yeah, good luck trying to get a barrel made for this based on the previous responses. Theses were short run guns in the US. Very few spare barrels made it in also. So they aren't widely known. I'm sure you could get a barrel smith to make one, but the cost is gonna be steep. You have to keep your eyes on eBay and gunbroker. They turn up once in a while.

I will say this guy has a .270 barrel available for sale right now. I know it's legit because I bought my 25.06 barrel from him a few weeks ago. He communicates well, gives you the price in CDN (you have the exchange advantage), he ships fast and gives you tracking that works. Hit him up fast. Three or so weeks ago he had 4 barrels for sale. He is down to one left in .270Win

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.