Sig Sauer Whiskey5 vs. Zeiss V4

ModernRedneck

Hello all,

I'm torn between the Sig Sauer Whiskey5 2.4-12x56 and the Zeiss V4 3-12x56 Reticle 60. One of these optics will go on my new 6.5-300 Weatherby Vanguard.

I care about three things: 1. Top notch glass clarity 2. Low-light gathering 3. Fine, adjustable Illuminated dot.

I currently run the Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 Reticle 60 on another rifle and it has VERY good low-light gathering and a great illuminated dot. However, I canfind another one anywhere. I also would have loved to get my hand on a Zeiss V6, but it's hard to find a 3-12x56 Reticle 60 model as well.

I am aware that the Zeiss V4 has Japanese glass, which is not the same as the German Schott glass in the other Zeiss models I mentioned.

So, I have narrowed my choices down to the two models I've mentioned before, the Sig Whiskey5 and the Zeiss V4. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks

Of the two listed I would go with the Zeiss. I have not been impressed with the whiskey 5 line from sig.

With that being said the Zeiss vs a leupold vx5 3-15x56.... I am not picking the Zeiss.... in low light the vx5 with the 56mm object and fire dot absolutely shine. The vx5 and 6 track like they have eyes. They are light and excellent glass for their price range. I have 5 total vx5 and vx6. No more Zeiss and Swarovski. It's leupold and nightforce for me now.

Of the two listed I would go with the Zeiss. I have not been impressed with the whiskey 5 line from sig.

With that being said the Zeiss vs a leupold vx5 3-15x56.... I am not picking the Zeiss.... in low light the vx5 with the 56mm object and fire dot absolutely shine. The vx5 and 6 track like they have eyes. They are light and excellent glass for their price range. I have 5 total vx5 and vx6. No more Zeiss and Swarovski. It's leupold and nightforce for me now.
I agree. Good to see you are being productive tonight 😜

Thanks. I'll have to look at the Leupold models you mentioned. I had a VX3L 56mm model a while back and it was terrible in low light compared to my Victory HT. I sold the VX3L in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll have to look at the Zeiss models you mentioned. I had a VX3L 56mm model a while back and it was terrible in low light compared to my Victory HT. I sold the VX3L in a heartbeat!
The vx3 is a long way from the vx5 HD. I sold 2 Swarovskis a z6i and a z5 in favor of the leupold 3-15x44 and a vx6 3-18x50. If you've never looked through one at dark, I'd say you should give them a shot. The new leupolds have come a long way from what they offered several years back. For a while leupold was putting lipstick on very old optics. They have remade those two lines of hunting scopes and they turned out great.

the zeiss is also an excellent optic. But I have moved away from them as well. Either way you cannot go wrong

The vx3 is a long way from the vx5 HD. I sold 2 Swarovskis a z6i and a z5 in favor of the leupold 3-15x44 and a vx6 3-18x50. If you've never looked through one at dark, I'd say you should give them a shot. The new leupolds have come a long way from what they offered several years back. For a while leupold was putting lipstick on very old optics. They have remade those two lines of hunting scopes and they turned out great.

the zeiss is also an excellent optic. But I have moved away from them as well. Either way you cannot go wrong
Leupold is the only optic I will buy. You can spend more but you don't get more.

Modenredneck that was not a fair comparison a VX3 to a Ziess Victory. You can not compare the conquest line to the Victory line either. Now that said I compared a VX5 3x15-44 to a Conquest 4x16-50 and the Conquest to my eyes was the better scope. This is some thing to remember too evrybodies eyes may like a different scopes glass. This is due to what coatings our eyes get the best picture through.

That's understandable. It's really hard for me to even consider another Leupold after how terrible the VX3 was, compared to my other scopes. But folks are convincing me to at least go look through one of the VX-5HD. The Zeiss Victory HT and Sig Whiskey5 have been spot so far. Really wish I could find another Victory HT model I have or the V6 similar model. But, if folks think that the V4 is better than the Whiskey5, I'd give the V4 a try. I'll still checkout the VX-5HD in the meantime. I do love the alumina flip covers!

Last edited:
Bought one of these yesterday. Did quite a bit of research and reading and was able to look through one of the lower powered models and was extremely impressive. The one on sale is not illuminated. Spoke with the company and got my questions answered. Also has $100 rebate I discovered when talking with the manufacturer. I'll report back my findings after I get it to the range this weekend.

I have a Whiskey 5 and I like it way more then the Zeiss V4's I've looked through. The Sig is made in Japan and you get a lot of scope for similar money. Illuminated reticle and Level Plex that the V4 doesn't have. I wasn't real impressed with the turrets on the V4 either. I'm sure each company has turned out some lemons. I've had a couple older Zeiss Conquests, sent them off to get target turrets installed and neither one would track or hold zero, so I've kinda been soured on them.

I have a Whiskey 5 and I like it way more then the Zeiss V4's I've looked through. The Sig is made in Japan and you get a lot of scope for similar money. Illuminated reticle and Level Plex that the V4 doesn't have. I wasn't real impressed with the turrets on the V4 either. I'm sure each company has turned out some lemons. I've had a couple older Zeiss Conquests, sent them off to get target turrets installed and neither one would track or hold zero, so I've kinda been soured on them.

This is great insight. I do love my Whiskey5. Just love my Victory HT a little more for the low-light gathering and the illuminated dot with the 60 reticle, tho the Whiskey5 has it as well. Actually the V4 comes in Reticle 60 now that I think about it. I do however prefer the Sig turrets...they are pretty nice!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.