Sig Sauer KILO 2400 ABS Ballistic Rangefinder Review

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
This is a thread for discussion of the article, "Sig Sauer KILO 2400 ABS Ballistic Rangefinder Review", By Andy Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

First read the article HERE . And then come back for discussion.

Great review Andy. I have been really looking hard at getting one of these units (I currently am running a BR2). The one thing that is holding me back a little is the way you have to scroll though the whole menu to alter the wind direction and speed. I could be wrong here but the increased ability of this unit also adds a little draw back in the speed department as compared to the BR2. The 2400 adds Coriolis and spin drift as well as ballistic jump so if you set it for say a 10mph wind at 90 degrees then it will be adding spindrift and possibly Coriolis(depending on direction of fire) to your wind call. There will also be aerodynamic jump added or subtracted from the elevation solution. The effect this will have will vary of course with distance, direction of fire and wind speed/direction. This unit with its extra inputs has the ability to give a decisively more accurate solution if accurate wind direction and speed are entered but if they are not (especially at longer distances) I believe you could actually have less accurate outputs than the BR2 ran with the zero .5 moa left to account for spin drift at long range technique. I know that these variables aren't huge but it does negate the advantage of Coriolis, spin drift and aerodynamic jump if correct wind speed and direction aren't entered and it messes with your wind calls and a little with your elevation. Sorry about the long winded post but could explain my thoughts any different. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The one thing I wish they would have designed the wind meter to plug into the rangefinder to impute the actual wind speed if desired, otherwise it's perfect!

Great review. Other early reports form users appear to be positive as well. I think this will be a really good piece of kit for all of us shooting LR.

Nice review Andy!
BCIrf: also being a G7 user for several years with very good success and high confidence in its performance, I had similar concerns about the effects of aerodynamic jump, spin drift, and CE calculations confusing, or distorting what has been a fairly clean calculation with the G7 which does not perform theses calculations. I have spent time comparing the 2400 with my G7 using my confirmed G7 inputs. Tested out to 1116 yards the 2400 produced drops that were identiical to the G7 when wind speed was set at "0". When wind is programmed, the effects of AJ and CE as you stated are fairly minor at less the a .5MOA effect on elevation and only seen when the range approaches 1000 yards and with wind speeds approaching 10MPH. IMO, wind dope, inclusive of spind drift is a welcome addition over the G7. With the G7, I had to mentally add this factor when shooting over 700 yards. Overall, my initial concerns of radically different outputs compared to my G7 were unwarranted, and the 2400 produces comparable results.

Andy,
Your handling of the wind drift with the 2400 caught my attention:

"From there you do some simple math in your head to adjust for the actual wind value. For example, I chose to set the KILO 2400 to 10 MPH and a 9:00 direction. When it's time to shoot, if I conclude that the real wind value is equivalent to a 5 MPH crosswind, then I would use half of the correction the KILO gives me."

I am also thinking about using this simplified approach to calculating wind drift. But, unlike the G7, the 2400 includes a spin drift correction that may have to be taken into account depending on the range and actual wind direction.

Andy,

"From there you do some simple math in your head to adjust for the actual wind value. For example, I chose to set the KILO 2400 to 10 MPH and a 9:00 direction. When it's time to shoot, if I conclude that the real wind value is equivalent to a 5 MPH crosswind, then I would use half of the correction the KILO gives me."

I am also thinking about using this simplified approach to calculating wind drift. But, unlike the G7, the 2400 includes a spin drift correction that may have to be taken into account depending on the range and actual wind direction.

Greyfox, that is the issue I was seeing. The throw in 10mph from 9:00 thing is going to get a little tricky out farther. If your zeroed at 100, by the time you hit 700 it will be adding .5 moa of spin drift to the wind and .25 moa up or down for aerodynamic jump. While not huge it starts to add up.

I wish you could easily adjust wind direction and speed on the unit and say good-bye to the phone if you wanted.

Greyfox, that is the issue I was seeing. The throw in 10mph from 9:00 thing is going to get a little tricky out farther. If your zeroed at 100, by the time you hit 700 it will be adding .5 moa of spin drift to the wind and .25 moa up or down for aerodynamic jump. While not huge it starts to add up.

I wish you could easily adjust wind direction and speed on the unit and say good-bye to the phone if you wanted.

Quite frankly, when hunting with my G7 over the last several years, I have rarely used the wind correction feature which is fast and easy. I use the my Kestral to take a wind read that is perpendicular to my line of sight to the animal and mentally calculate the wind dope in a few seconds using a simple formula. This has worked quite well. For hunting, I will likely set the 2400 to zero wind and do the same. With a zero wind entry and the same load inputs the 2400 matches the drops to my G7 currently tested to 1100 yards. I am anxious to try the full capability of the 2400 with my target/ELR.shooting where the advanced features can be fully exploited.

Hey first time posting a comment. And well in fact due to the quality and time/effort put into this review i have set up and account. Just so that i could complement you on the high quality review you have produced. Am looking forward to purchasing the sig sauer kilo 2400 and hope it is available here in aus. Cheers luke

Andy,

Yes - I am wondering what the best way will be to handle that issue too. I have contacted the AB guys and asked what they suggest. It was pretty obvious last week at SHOT show that those guys have a lot of irons in the fire right now so I'm not surprised I haven't heard back yet.

I will let everyone know what they suggest.

Hey first time posting a comment. And well in fact due to the quality and time/effort put into this review i have set up and account. Just so that i could complement you on the high quality review you have produced. Am looking forward to purchasing the sig sauer kilo 2400 and hope it is available here in aus. Cheers luke

Thanks Luke. I appreciate that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.