SIG "LEVEL-PLEX" LEVEL INDICATOR RETICLE

Litehiker

For my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro rifle I've been looking to replace my pretty good SWFA 3-15 x 42 scope with something a bit better.

At first I felt the MARCH 3 - 24 - 42 scope was just right for mountain hunting with its light weight and lighted reticle option.
BUT, after seeing a SIG video on their Level-Plex level indicating reticle I think I have found the best scope for hunting my purposes without breaking the bank on an excellent ED glass MARCH scope.

The SIG WHISKEY 5 3- 15 x 44 with the Level-Plex reticle at a tad over $1,000. looks like the best buy, especially when compared to the similar Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44.
The SIG is lighter and shorter and likely has equivalent quality glass. I have a 5 year old Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 competition scope and it has great glass for non-ED glass.

The SIG scope is 25 oz. v.s MARCH at 25.3 oz for illuminated, and 12.5 inches long v.s. MARCH at 12.3 inches so VERY close in physical specs. Both are 30 mm tubes.

OK, so the MARCH is definitely better quality but mon Deu! the price is almost 2 1/2 times that of the SIG and no leveling reticle. SIG has a real selling point in that feature for my purposes, i.e. long range hunting.
I'm used to using a bubble level on my competition rifle and know its importance so the leveling reticle on the SIG is perfect for me.

Eric B.

Last edited:
The glass is pretty dang nice for the price point and the level plex is dead on with my flatline. Overall for the price they are tough to beat imo.
Sure there is better glass out there, but there is a point where it becomes a conversation about better edge clarity, contrast and color that doesn't make a hit out of miss in normal hunting situations.
If you like to field judge your antlers or horns at 1000 yards out of your rifle scope than I suppose that matters. It is nice to not have a bubble level on the scope for me.

I have some high end stuff (march, NF) but I don't need a 2500.00+ scope on every rifle. Fact is I can shoot just as good of groups and am every bit as confident with a couple vx-iii's as I am with anything.

If you get a chance to look through one I doubt you'll be disappointed.

It's a great option, They haven't been around that long so I don't think they've had a chance to prove themselves to the masses, but they do have an awesome warranty.

Happy with mine.

I have the 5-24 sig. the eye box is small on full power. I don't use the level in the scope. I prefer the level on the scope. Leupold vx6 has the same features and better glass in my opinion.

OK, so I cancelled my SIG Whiskey 5 order with Optics Planet.

And then ordered the Tango 6 in 3 - 18 x 44 with MRAD milling reticle and the Level-Plex.
WHY? Because the Whiskey 5 only came in 2nd focal plane and I wanted FFP.
I didn't realize the Whiskey 5 was only SFP.

Yeah, it's more money and I'll have to get new Talley rings B/C it's a 34 mm tube. Big deal. Get what you want and it usually costs more. Compromise and it costa less. Just a fact of life.
The one minus is that the scope weighs 37 oz. so it's "heavy". But I'll just lose a few "ounces' off my spare tire and be even.

ShooterReady,
The Level-Plex indicators are little lighted arrowheads on either end of the horizontal reticle that are black when the reticle is level or when it's turned off. There is absolutely no interference with the view.

Eric B.

I mounted a level on my scope and then paid attention to the whiskey lights to let me know when I was level and it never matched up with external level or rail level. I will take a rail or tube mounted level anytime over what a scope tells me is level any day of the week! Maybe I just had a bad example but I test everything and it didn't add up to others. Will keep looking levelplex is a gimmick for me!

Something to watch for, mine tested perfect, but that doesn't mean they all will.
I'd actually prefer it without illumination or level plex for my pack rifle to save the weight and shrink the parallax nob.
It'd be a handy little scope.

I have six of them.

All perform as well as my Nightforces for my purposes.

The Nightforce is a bit better in bright light in snow but that's about it.

Highly recommended.

I agree with Remmy. I've had two Sigs and their finicky eyebox and terrible zero stop set up just didn't work for me. I also found the electronic level to be distracting.

I forgot the zero stop. Takes a special tool. I don't want a scope without zero stop, but don't really like the sig zero stop. However I will admit it is still a lot of scope for the money.

Remmy,
Thanks for the heads up on the level lights. I'll check them against bubble levels and it they are off the scope goes back.

campbell,
Are you saying I need a TOOL to use the zero stop?? That is not good.

Eric B.

For my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro rifle I've been looking to replace my pretty good SWFA 3-15 x 42 scope with something a bit better.

At first I felt the MARCH 3 - 24 - 42 scope was just right for mountain hunting with its light weight and lighted reticle option.
BUT, after seeing a SIG video on their Level-Plex level indicating reticle I think I have found the best scope for hunting my purposes without breaking the bank on an excellent ED glass MARCH scope.

The SIG WHISKEY 5 3- 15 x 44 with the Level-Plex reticle at a tad over $1,000. looks like the best buy, especially when compared to the similar Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44.
The SIG is lighter and shorter and likely has equivalent quality glass. I have a 5 year old Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 competition scope and it has great glass for non-ED glass.

The SIG scope is 25 oz. v.s MARCH at 25.3 oz for illuminated, and 12.5 inches long v.s. MARCH at 12.3 inches so VERY close in physical specs. Both are 30 mm tubes.

OK, so the MARCH is definitely better quality but mon Deu! the price is almost 2 1/2 times that of the SIG and no leveling reticle. SIG has a real selling point in that feature for my purposes, i.e. long range hunting.
I'm used to using a bubble level on my competition rifle and know its importance so the leveling reticle on the SIG is perfect for me.

Eric B.
I think it's a pretty cool idea..the Sig...but make sure you always have fresh batteries especially if it gets cold where you hunt

Remmy,
Thanks for the heads up on the level lights. I'll check them against bubble levels and it they are off the scope goes back.

campbell,
Are you saying I need a TOOL to use the zero stop?? That is not good.

Eric B.

None of mine require a special tool unless you call an allen wrench that comes with the scope to be a special tool.

Yes my sig requires a tool that comes with the scope to set it. It is a round key that you place in the turret to set.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.