SIG Cross for long range hunting ??

Really nice for people to bash on a guy who is probably using a translator app to post here. Thought I was in the Bear Pit for a minute. All the discussion over the "mt" was certainly beneficial. I mean we all talk about shooting metric tons, so I get the confusion (sarcasm intended).

I have the cross in 6.5 CM. Now status post it's recall trip to Sig, where they replaced some trigger and bolt components. Haven't taken it out to the range since it returned, but prior to that trip it was shooting .43-.57 MOA depending on what factory ammo I fed it. The Cross puts out a little more recoil the my Tikka in 6.5, but slightly more accurate. It's light and folds!

Well, (I mean OK, not that steel tower for oil 😁), sounds very good with factory ammo. Recoil is not an issue, toughness and reliability is and half MOA or better is enough for my hunting mid range. I only would like to have more caliber options, i.e. some more horsepower, but it does not like there will be more caliber options in short. I would really appreciate opinions on 18 barrels!

Save your money, Sig Cross rifle is not worth it. I purchased two 308 with 20" barrels, took it out to the range only to find it wouldn't shoot under a MOA. Now before you get your panties in a wad, I have shot many different calibers over the years and reloaded most of my ammo with a total experience of 50 years+ . One of my favorites is a Remington 700 in 308 5R 20" barrel that would place 6 rds in a bottle cap at 100 yrds. But this Sig Cross couldn't come anywhere near that. It might very well be a great back country meat get'er rifle becuse of it's weight and collapsible stock but defenitly not a tack driver. I was hoping for great results and to be honest I wanted it work but it didn't for me. Like the butcher say's....You Liver and you Loin

Thanks Knight, yours is exactly the first hand review I am looking for. Had little experience with Remington, a Police in 338 Lapua and an XCR tactical 26" in 308; none of the two was great, no more than honest. I might give a chance to the 5R... it seems I better stay with a 20 barrel, with that length the options are a lot and if I go custom it is easy also. Knight, I will spend half night now to investigate about the meaning of what the butcher say.... very happy to learn something new in English !

For whatever it's worth I own a sig cross in 6.5 cm and I am just using it as a range toy and might take it out hunting this year. In the 6 months I've had it I've got it consistently shooting .43-56 on 5 shot groups and I turned out out 2 into the .3's with handloads at 100yds. I think it's a good rifle, I haven't sent mine in for the recall and don't think I will, if it's not broke don't fix it? But it's plenty accurate for me out to 700 yards just ringing 8" steel.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't be too worried about barrel length. There was a big push years ago for short 16-20 inch barrels and they were so accurate and I never wanted one for the fact I wanted speed. Now years later I realize that those short and little bit thicker barrels are so much easier to tune and shoot easy. Bullet performance is gonna be dictated by bullet design a lot more at distances you're worried about. Get what you want and if you don't like it keep buying more guns and loading the safe up! 😉
3A24F565-2BFE-47B9-A95E-0ECF45927A6D.jpeg

He he, I keep loading the safeS up... for some 25 years 26/28 heavy barrels; now I am having fun with 24/20 heavies, and a pair of 16 for strict short range. Experimenting and testing is a big fun for me, both ballistically and on the terminal side. Thanks !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts