Sig BDX system for a long range hunt...

There are many models, not just two. The 5700 Sportsman CONX has Applied Ballistics software, it's just missing customized drag models (I think) and is a bit neutered in the number of rifles you can load on to the meter at one time. The 5700 Elite model is exactly the same with better software.

The 4DOF does not use the Applied Ballistics software but it seems to be exactly the same hardware. I think you can do a free firmware update on a 5700 Sportsman CONX to change to the 4DOF software but as I said, you lose the BDX compatibility if you do that.

I know there are more Kestral models but you and I were only talking about the 5700 with the Hornady 4DOF model and the Elite model. The Hornady 4DOF is based on mathematical approximations of how the bullet should fly while Applied Ballistics is based on actually measuring the movement of the bullet along it's flight, I'd rather use a process based on the real world performance of a bullet.

Applied Ballistics uses the customized drag models, that's what their ballistics engine is based on, if the device has the Applied Ballistics software then it's based on customized drag models for each bullet in the bullet library. If you check the bullet libraries I think you'll find that the Hornady software has a smaller number of bullets and most of what they list are Hornady bullets along with a few bullets from a couple of other brands. The Applied Ballistics version has something like a little over 500 bullets from most of the main bullet manufacturers and I believe that they are expanding that to over 800 bullets.

As I said, the BDX products are a system and the advantage is that you don't have to make any knob adjustments, you simply range, aim, and shoot. You don't even need the Kestral if you never intend to shoot beyond 800 yards. If you do intend to shoot past 800 yards and you want the system to work as it was designed then you need the Kestral Elite with the Applied Ballistics engine. Yes, you could buy Kestral Hornady 4DOF model but you would then have to make the scope adjustments after you get a solution. Admittedly, you will probably have finer control over the scope if you make the adjustments by hand but the system was designed for general shooting/hunting rather than competition.

You are not understanding, the 5700 Sportsman CONX HAS Applied Ballistics software, it's just not the Elite version. It does do ABX mode with a compatible Sig BDX laser rangefinder, it just does not handle transonic flight accurately so if your velocity falls off at long distance it might not have much advantage over the AB Lite solver in the LRF.

For example with a 308 shooting 168 grain FGMM, it probably won't extend the solutions much past 950 yards.

So my rifle is a 300 win Mag Christensen Arms Carbon Classic (Old model with the Rem 700 action). This is for a Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan in Nov (depending on this virus situation, otherwise it will be pushed back to 2021)
Im worried about the guides, they wont give me time to stuff around getting a firing solution from a Kestrel. I know what these guys can be like, it's a case of " hurry shoot shoot"
Well i wont be pressured into rushing and taking a shot that i'm not happy with but I do want a quick firing solution for long range. For that reason i'm going to get a Sig BDX scope, range finder combo. I also have a Kestral 5700 with 4DOF that I will be initially using in the App to provide real altitude and temperature.
My issue is that there is a bunch of different BDX combos available. I'm thinking about the KILO 1400 BDX RANGE FINDER & SIERRA 3 3.5-10X42 SCOPE but am interested to see what members here would suggest and if anyone has any experience with them.
Cheers...
You had better check with folks here about whether or not this system works in below zero weather
I have not had good luck with most range finders in cold weather or illuminated reticles below -5.

So my rifle is a 300 win Mag Christensen Arms Carbon Classic (Old model with the Rem 700 action). This is for a Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan in Nov (depending on this virus situation, otherwise it will be pushed back to 2021)
Im worried about the guides, they wont give me time to stuff around getting a firing solution from a Kestrel. I know what these guys can be like, it's a case of " hurry shoot shoot"
Well i wont be pressured into rushing and taking a shot that i'm not happy with but I do want a quick firing solution for long range. For that reason i'm going to get a Sig BDX scope, range finder combo. I also have a Kestral 5700 with 4DOF that I will be initially using in the App to provide real altitude and temperature.
My issue is that there is a bunch of different BDX combos available. I'm thinking about the KILO 1400 BDX RANGE FINDER & SIERRA 3 3.5-10X42 SCOPE but am interested to see what members here would suggest and if anyone has any experience with them.
Cheers...
My brother and I both have the Sig BDX scope and rangefinder. We sighted his rifle in at 100 then shot at 200. On the money, went to 300 and my first shot hit bottom center x so again on the money. We both have bought the binoculars and hope to try them soon. Please update to BDX 2.0 before using it has updated ballistics

Since you're looking at buying a new scope and a new rangefinder, take a look at the Revic PMR 428. It basically has a built in Kestrel ballistic app and inclinometer (which the Kestrel does not have). The computer inside the scope adjusts ballistics for density altitude, temperature, your barrel's incline, scope tilt, wind drift, Coriolis, etc. and it does it real-time as you are hunting climbing up and down mountains as the temp, etc. changes. The scope has all these sensors inside for temp, altitude, incline, a level, etc. I purchased the Revic RX1 MOA christmas tree reticle and use the reticle's holdover and holdoff for 500 yard and closer shots which is faster than twisting the turret. Past 500 yards I twist the elevation and windage turrets. The only thing the scope doesn't do for you is range the target. For ranging, I use a Leica GEOVID 10x42 HD-B binocular. With this Revic scope you have no fiddling with multiple gadgets when trying to shoot quickly because the computer and display (HUD) are built inside the scope. Also if you shoot up or down a mountain slope, the scope knows where you are pointing the barrel and compensates for the incline, level tilt, and wind compensation ballistics immediately as you move the barrel up/down and left/right. I think the Revic PMR 428 is what you really need for the mountain hunt you described.

Last edited:
Ive been around a couple of the sig bdx scopes. And their aint no way in hell id take one on a hint that i spent that much money on and traveled that far to get. They are cheap junk in my opinion. Glass sucks and the turrets are worse than a tasco bb gun scope. Get a g7 any model and learn how to use it. And put a good scope on ur rifle. Just my 2 cents.

I would agree the revic is a great option its a very heavy scope but the glass is pretty impressive was spotting 204 cal bullet holes at 200 yds . they have a wind meter /pda that will be available soon that is supposed to link with the range finder and scope

Did not know about the Revic wind meter addition. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. Once you have that, you'll have everything you need except for the target's range and the wind at the target and en-route to the target, hahaha. Forgot to mention the Revic is Bluetooth capable also.

Last edited:
I talked to them two weeks ago and they were waiting on them to arrive and put on the site didn't get any details on the features of the device but a year ago there was a lot of talk about it being multi device compatible and having the bigger screen would eliminate the need for using a phone /app + linked to the range finder/ scope you would only need to dial and shoot

Great news. The only suggestion I had when I purchased mine was for the HUD to be larger and lower in the scope. Glad to hear they are doing something about that. Is it just a software update to make the HUD larger or do you have to send the scope back to the factory.

It's a hand held wind meter with a large screen and ballistic calculator(try looking at a kestrel the screen is really small) that communicates with the revic and the range finder . Google kestrel killer was on the hide last year . sorry op if we are derailing the the thread but if this works as it should it will be a huge upgrade to a kestrel

1stly I'm a sig fan and have a fair bit of their kit.
However! I have had one kilo2000 fail and upgraded to the 2200 BDX. Works reliably atm however it doesn't range past 800m with any reliability. Iv sent it back and will be asking for replacment to Atleast a 2400 or even the 3000.
DO NOT take anything less then a 2400 on your trip as IMO the lesser models are built to a price.
If your willling to spend the money I also would look at the Revic platform, pair of Geovids or Atleast a 2400 or 3000 BDX.

don't get the cheaper sigs you will regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts