Sierra vs. Hornady vs. Berger, Match bullets?

jcpython357

Has any of you guys ever did a head-to-head test with these bullet brands for the 308 in the 168-175grain range to see which one is the most accurate? Jay

Jay,
That is a tough one, about like which is the best scope, barrel, action, stock, mounts, boots, target design or gunsmith.

I believe that the answer to your question is determined by your particular rifle. We have some rifles that prefer J4's (believe Wyo is that way also) whereas some shoot Matchkings or Bergers or A-Max. I have gone to the bottom line, whatever match bullets I can get the cheapest so that I can shoot more - as in steel plinking.

You would need a huge sample of rifles shooting a huge sample of ammo to figure that one out - by the time you did someone will have a new bullet out that claims to be better.

Year in and year out, the Sierra Matchking is just plain amazing. Matchkings seem to be taking a beating from some serious shooters here re quality control, but I believe they still set the standard to match or beat for factory match produced bullets.

Seems that the spread between match and hunting grade bullets is shrinking, the factories are making some amazingly accurate hunting bullets these days.

I am heading out shortly for a LR shoot this morning - don't really care which bullet as long as it hits them **** plates.

Jay,

The accuracy varies among the big manufacturers because of the run of jackets.

If you get a great run of jackets, (No variance in wall thickness) you can make bullets with tremendous accuracy potential. The high volume guys have a larger acceptable tolerance for jacket runout. Sierrora keeps 'Standards' downstairs on the shelves by the test firing tunnel. If they get complaints about about a bullet, or have reason to question a test barrel, they load a few up out of the standards box to see what happens. These standards bullets were made on jackets with no runout. Not all Sierrora bullets get made on jackets to the same standard.

The best way to insure consistent quality is to buy from a custom bullet maker who will not allow jackets with significant runout. Guys like Guy Chism and Jimmy Knox will send jackets back to J4 if the quality and consistent wall thickness standards are not met. The big guys just build bullets on them. That does not mean that Sierrora has not made some great bullets, they have, and guys that get a good lot of them never forget it. The truth is you get a more accurate product batch after batch with the guys that set their quality standards higher. Jimmy Knox or Berger would be a good place to start.
wink.gif

[ 04-24-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

The above posts are correct in that rifles are individuals and each has its likes and dislikes. And the quality of bullets is dependent on the quality of the jacket, production run, etc.

That said, my records show in my custom .308 that 168/175 SMK and Berger 175 VLD were about tied. Hornady and Nosler 168 were a little larger in group size but not crap.

7, That's all I wanted to know, what you guys are getting with the above mentioned bullets, I'm in the habit of calling bullet manufactures and asking what their accuracy standards are for the particular bullet I'm using and finding that Hornady and Berger have the highest standards yet Sierra has been the most accurate, although I haven't been seating the Hornadys as close to the lands as they seem to prefer but will do next time I load them, will find out this weekend when son shoots his 22-250 with 55gr. V-Max and 53gr match bullets .004 off the lands, I'll be tickled pink if he gets less than 1/2 moa with a bullet that has an accuracy standard of .250".
smile.gif
Thanks guys, Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.