Petey308

I just wanted to make a separate thread to go along with other one I made about the ELDM vs the ELDX, but regarding the differences between the Sierra TGK and the TMK. The TGK is actually a completely redesigned bullet from Sierra and it's like nothing else they've made before. It has the thickest jackets of any of their other bullets and is the only one with lead alloy core. All their other bullets feature pure lead cores.

They're really nothing like the original GameKings. The original GameKings are the same as the regular MatchKings and Tipped MatchKings as far as jacket thickness and their core. The only difference between the SMK, TMK, and original GameKing is, depending on the particular GameKing, is it either has a soft point or large hollow point, compared to the polymer tipped TMK and open tipped SMK (OTM).

The GameKings were an original hunting version of the MatchKing. They made them with either a soft point or large hollow point to ensure they expanded reliably versus the small open tip of the SMK.

The TMK was made to be an improved SMK. They gave it a polymer tip to increase consistency from bullet to bullet and also boost BC, plus they improved the aerodynamic profile of them. Ironically, this also made them as reliable as the GameKings concerning expansion, but the TMK has the improved external ballistics. The TMKs are literally just as much of a Tipped original GameKing as they are a Tipped MatchKing.

I personally dislike that Sierra named what is now the actual Tipped GameKing that. I think they should have called it something else, like perhaps a Tipped ProHunter or something since those are a thicker jacketed version of the original GameKing.

In my mind, they could have had a Tipped ProHunter and a Tipped GameKing and used the translucent green tips with both. The opaque tip on the TMK would stay on those. They could then make the exact same bullet and just make one line and product number with the opaque tip and say it's for targets and then another line and product number with a translucent tip and say it's for extended range hunting.

They could then also have the Tipped ProHunter (or whatever different name they prefer) for close to medium range hunting and for medium to large game. It would make for a great lineup and selection and not make things confusing to the hunters without any real knowledge on bullet construction. They'd essentially have three different products and only two actually different bullets.

So anyway, with all that said, here are a bunch of pictures showing a 160gr 7mm TMK and a 165gr 7mm TGK side by side. You can see the differences pretty clearly. The jackets on the TGK are much thicker (.047" vs .026" on the TMK). Obviously there's less core material on the TGK as well. That core, however, is indeed MUCH harder than the core of the TMK. It's a lead alloy and it was very noticeably harder when cutting it and it also took twice as long to melt it versus the pure lead core in the TMK.

The opening/meplat on the TGK is a bit wider, which is beneficial for expansion. That helps ensure it does still expand well having the thicker jacket and harder core. They said, it still won't makeup for it completely. The TGK is definitely a tough constructed bullet and even Sierra recommends it not be used when impact velocity will be below around 2200-2000fps. That's why it's better for closer range work. The TMK is what you'd want for longer range shots or if impact velocities would be below the 2200-2000fps range. The TMK is still good down to at least 1400fps.

I've loaded both of these bullets in 7mm Rem Mags for customers and they both have done very well. I'll post some pictures as well of some results with them shared to me by the customer. The TGK shots were with the deer on the run and about 200 yards or so away. They definitely still produced plenty of trauma and dropped the deer quick.

Edit: here's some links to similar threads of mine for those that may be interested:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/eldm-vs-eldx-construction-wise.312650/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/norma-bondstrike-tipstrike-and-j-a-abram-bullets.312663/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bullet-construction.283735/

9E8E7B38-187E-492E-B7F7-E0911E73FB12.jpeg
AB1059AE-76F6-44E4-BE20-73170A6F797A.jpeg
11928D3C-BBD2-4510-8C1A-246CC36BDF37.jpeg
C97A0D0D-AA0F-4AF3-BE7A-96001A8AEB48.jpeg
3DF442EE-ED7E-492D-8AFA-202B467318DE.jpeg
12B0070A-4868-49D5-8F9B-ECC43367831A.jpeg
2E4879B0-01E4-4672-9CBE-C123DC4FA707.jpeg
2771432C-9815-4FA6-8CE4-A7D4DD476EF0.jpeg
FADEEF28-1571-4188-8FB3-803735997AF7.jpeg
F9B927F5-A23D-4CD5-A614-616F7A912574.jpeg

Last edited:
Older Gameking bullets shot well in my rifles but nearly always shed their jackets in whitetails. I stopped using them for that reason.

How are the TGKs as far as core/jacket separation

Older Gameking bullets shot well in my rifles but nearly always shed their jackets in whitetails. I stopped using them for that reason.

How are the TGKs as far as core/jacket separation
It still depends on impact velocity, amount of SD the particular one you're using has, and amount of resistance the bullet experiences upon impact. It can still happen to the TGK because it's not bonded, but it happens less because the rate of expansion is slower and less overall material is shed.

You'd experience less issue with premature jacket separation with bullets like the original GameKing or TMK, or other thinner jacketed non-bonded bullets, by increasing SD (mass). That will increase penetration vs expansion and slow the rate of material shedding. Lower impact velocity and/or amount of resistance upon impact can have a similar effect.

There's a lot of GameKings that are simply at a weight that gives them insufficient SD for most cartridge combos they're used in.

Which bullet blew up the deer?
I'll post some pictures as well of some results with them shared to me by the customer. The TGK shots were with the deer on the run and about 200 yards or so away. They definitely still produced plenty of trauma and dropped the deer quick.
👆🏻It was the 165gr TGK from a 7mm REM Mag and impacted well over 2700fps still.

Thanks for taking the time to section, measure, and photograph these for our viewing, really appreciate it.

Yeah the tgk/gamechanger is a bit of an odd duck to my mind. It's not bonded or partitioned or mono metal and yet by all accounts it's crazy tough…but there's still no way to guarantee no jacket separation on a shoulder hit. It's like it doesn't know what it wants haha. I would feel very nervous shoulder shooting an elk with one, it's still just a cup and core, and equally unwanting to double lung a deer broadside: it's too stout for that to be super fast killing to my mind.

Lightweight monos like hammers or Barnes, heavyweight frangibles like the eld m, and midweight bonded bullets, especially the trophy bonded tip and woodleigh weldcore, get the nod from me, along with old school exposed lead softpoints like the Winchester super x and hornady interlocks I grew up on haha

That being said I've got a box of 6mm 90 grainers i still have yet to try on paper. I just love my .300 Winnie and .358 Norma so much that the old .243 and .270 never see the light of day anymore. Might sell the 270…it deserves to be loved better than what it gets from the likes of me 🤣

but there's still no way to guarantee no jacket separation on a shoulder hit. It's like it doesn't know what it wants haha.
Well, in that aspect there's no way to really guarantee anything. Risks can be managed though, and you can absolutely do certain things to ensure you're stacking the odds in your favor and to the point you can safely anticipate a common outcome. Anomalies will always occur.

I have no issues with any ones personal preferences and doing what works for them and using what works for them. I have my own personal preferences as well.

Well, in that aspect there's no way to really guarantee anything. Risks can be managed though, and you can absolutely do certain things to ensure you're stacking the odds in your favor and to the point you can safely anticipate a common outcome. Anomalies will always occur.

I have no issues with any ones personal preferences and doing what works for them and using what works for them. I have my own personal preferences as well.
I guarantee you'll never cause a solid copper shank to explode completely into fragments. I feel confident to guarantee that the trophy bonded tip and woodleigh weldcore will never just pencil though at anything over 1800 fps nor will they blow apart regardless of velocity. I guarantee that the massive plastic tips on the 30 cal 225 eld m and 195 tmk specifically are covering massive hollow points on thin jackets that result in all hell breaking loose inside the body cavity even well under 1800 fps.

I feel there's no guarantees of anything with the tgk/gamechanger design in comparison to many other options. Not saying it won't work (It obviously does).

Again, thanks for all your documentation of bullet sections on our behalf.