Sierra match king's as a hunting bullet

BowHunter, I'd rethink using the SMK's and listen the the advise of the Company that makes them. I could kill a deer with a 22 Long Rifle, but it doesn't mean that's the best way of going about doing it. You must Bow Hunt..... Do you use field points for hunting because the fly better then broad heads? Of course not, so why use a Target bullet for hunting?

I have a 6.5/300 WSM myself, although I'm not pushing them anywhere near the speeds you are, but they will shoot bug holes with either 140 GameKing or the 140 MatchKing. I hunt with one and use the other for punching steel.

Years ago I gave up on using the Fail Safe bullets because they wouldn't open on impact at long range. Bullet companies produce their products for certain situations, even Burger VLD's where used once for hunting, they now make hunting bullets for that purpose. I can tell you that Berger's OTM Tactical bullets driven fast, 3050 fps, can punch dents in Hardox Steel at 600 yards from my 300 Jarrett where everything else just takes the paint off! Even the Barnes MRX's driven at 3400 fps will only remove the paint, but I still think hunting designed bullets belong in the field when hunting game animals.

Honestly the apps used today make hitting any target easy enough a fifth grader could learn to do it. Doping the wind isn't going to offset the effects of shot placement any worse then poor tissue trauma. If anything I'd rather have the bullet mash and break bones and be off aim slightly then punch a pencil hole and do little damage. That's why FMJ suck for Big Game except for saving a nice pelt from damage and brain shots on Elephant and/or Buffalo..... but you better be a crack marksman and hit where you're aiming first and foremost.

That old saying "use enough gun" might as well be "use the right bullet as well".

Good hunting and luck is better then not at all.

BowHunter, I'd rethink using the SMK's and listen the the advise of the Company that makes them. I could kill a deer with a 22 Long Rifle, but it doesn't mean that's the best way of going about doing it. You must Bow Hunt..... Do you use field points for hunting because the fly better then broad heads? Of course not, so why use a Target bullet for hunting?

I have a 6.5/300 WSM myself, although I'm not pushing them anywhere near the speeds you are, but they will shoot bug holes with either 140 GameKing or the 140 MatchKing. I hunt with one and use the other for punching steel.

Years ago I gave up on using the Fail Safe bullets because they wouldn't open on impact at long range. Bullet companies produce their products for certain situations, even Burger VLD's where used once for hunting, they now make hunting bullets for that purpose. I can tell you that Berger's OTM Tactical bullets driven fast, 3050 fps, can punch dents in Hardox Steel at 600 yards from my 300 Jarrett where everything else just takes the paint off! Even the Barnes MRX's driven at 3400 fps will only remove the paint, but I still think hunting designed bullets belong in the field when hunting game animals.

Honestly the apps used today make hitting any target easy enough a fifth grader could learn to do it. Doping the wind isn't going to offset the effects of shot placement any worse then poor tissue trauma. If anything I'd rather have the bullet mash and break bones and be off aim slightly then punch a pencil hole and do little damage. That's why FMJ suck for Big Game except for saving a nice pelt from damage and brain shots on Elephant and/or Buffalo..... but you better be a crack marksman and hit where you're aiming first and foremost.

That old saying "use enough gun" might as well be "use the right bullet as well".

Good hunting and luck is better then not at all.
Well I thank everyone for their opinions, but I just got some 140 accu-bonds shipped to me and started playing with them, and they shoot lights out. I backed the powder charge down by 1 grain because of the increased bearing surface over the smk, and went shot a couple of three shot groups @100. They all went into one ragged hole and were doing 3197 fps. I then went out this morning to stretch it out and see what it does at distance, well @200 yds in 20+ mph winds it put 4 shots in a group that a quarter would cover, I then took a couple if shots @556 yds and put 2 rounds dead center 1 1/2" apart. I didn't shoot any further cause of the strong winds but I will be back out at the crack if dawn tomorrow morn. I have had great luck with the AB in both a 270 win using the 140 and in a 300 wsm using the 180. So I think im gonna stick with the AB in this rifle until they come out with a 140 Grainer in the new accu-bond longrange line.

The Nosler Accubond is a great bullet, and with the way it's shooting for you I'd leave it be. You'll kill anything you put them in provided you do your part.

Good hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.