SIERRA M.K. OR SCIROCCO

george

I AM NEW TO LONGRANGE SHOOTING, WILL TRY 4 TO 500 YDS FOR WHITETAIL THIS YEAR, ANY OPINIONS ON SIERRA MATCH KING VS SWIFT SCIROCCO IN 7MM REM MAG. PREVIOUS LONG SHOT IS 250 YARDS.
7 MM. REM MAG
24" HART BARREL
GUN BUILT BY JARRETT

George,
Those two bullets are very different in construction and intended purpose. Supposedly the Match King is a paper puncher whereas the Scirocco has its core bonded to the jacket and will retain about 80% of its original weight.

Despite the paper-puncher tag the Match Kings kill a lot of big game animals, particularly by guys on this forum. I killed critters with both bullets last year - they all ended up about equally dead.

Suggest using whichever bullet your rifle shoots best - if you are hunting deer you won't go wrong if you put either bullet through the chest at whatever range you can shoot to.

George, don't use the MK's for whitetail in a 7mm. I'd use a matchking in a 250 or 300 grain for one of the big 30's like the 338 lapua or 338 ultra-mag.

But....in the smaller 140 - 160 grain bullet weights of 7mm's, use the SWIFT SCIROCCO.

I personally would use the Barnes XLC 140 BT or the Barnes X 140 flat base. A lot of guys do not like them but I get a little better than MOA accuracy and out to 500 yards thats plenty. They are the best killing bullet I have ever seen.

Also, you might want to rebarrel to the 7mm ultra mag if you want to get into longer ranger shooting.

Happy Hunting

I have shoot factory Norma 140 gr 7 rem mag with SIROCCO ,in a MACMILLAN rifle

I have make very nice group , aand I am very impress by
the quality of the bullet ( making )
the accuracy
the expansion and how tought in the bonded core
Very good BC

SIROCCO is a real nice bullet with a quick expansion but a weight over 85% after expansion

Sierra MK expansion is very poor that less burst and to get peentration you need to shoot heavy SMK .

good shooting

DAN TEC

I have shoot factory Norma 140 gr 7 rem mag with SIROCCO ,in a MACMILLAN rifle

I have make very nice group , aand I am very impress by
the quality of the bullet ( making )
the accuracy
the expansion and how tought in the bonded core
Very good BC

SIROCCO is a real nice bullet with a quick expansion but a weight over 85% after expansion

Sierra MK expansion is very poor that less burst and to get peentration you need to shoot heavy SMK .

good shooting

DAN TEC

George,

If you can, pick up a copy of this month's "Shooting Times". Interesting articl regarding bullet performance, subject being .30 cal 180 gr bullets by several well known manufacturers. Performance in detail with photos. Surprise to me, the Swift A-Frame had highest weight retension of any at 3000fps impact(incl X-Bullets). Scirrocco's retained about 65% weight at that speed. At 2000 fps they ALL retained 80% or better, and that is the issue I think. What impact velocity do you project? At some point no bullet will expand on impact so placement becomes important. FWIW, the above article includes Sierra Spitzers, Hornady SST's and Nosler Ballist Tips.

I would choose the Scirrocco over the MK, but truth is, if you actually squeeze the trigger on something at that range and connect with any bullet, premium or not, it's pretty much toast.
wink.gif

thanks for the information on bullets, I had a Nosler b.t. blow up on deer shoulder w/ 7mm rem mag at 175 yards, that scared me, I heard the Scirocco was very accurate bullet, I have loaded som Sciroccos and hope to try them pretty soon, will post how they work.

I've been a nosler BT fan since the old solid base. I've shot numerous large deer with them and had excellent results. A couple of years ago I tried the 180 Noslers in my .338 WM. The go nearly 3300 FPS at the muzzle. I shot a monster quartering away at about a 125 yards and all it did was knock about a fist sized hole in the on side hide and a chucnk of lung about the size of a golf ball. It didn't penetrate any further than that. This probably happened because it hit a rib bone at that bad angle. There was about an 18" spray of hide and blood on the face of the round bale he was next to. He only ran about 100 yards so I guess I can't complain, but I still thought that the scirocco would be the ultimate bullet for hunting big game. Basically a Ballistic Tip with a bonded core.

Because they don't make them in .338 yet, I worked up some loads in 7mm Rem Mag. They only make 150 grains so that's what I used. I killed another large deer at ~600 yards and the bullet went through both shoulders and pounded the rive bank on the other side. He snowploughed about 30 yards and died. I have the hole thing on Video and it looks really cool seeing the bullet connect and the dirt fly up on the other side. To say the least, I was very impressed. A Ballistic Tip probably would have killed him just as dead, but the confidence of knowing the bullet will hold together is enough to keep me using the Swifts. I can't wait for them in 6mm and .338.

FWIW, the next Scirocco to be released is supposed to be a 210 grain .338.

I called and asked for a time frame a few weeks ago and was told they would be available "in a couple weeks."

I don't know what "a couple weeks" of Swift time translates into in real time though!
smile.gif

I'd like to try them in my 338 RUMs.

Joe.

Hello George

At that range, most any good bullet will work well for you.

My choice has always been the Sierra MK as I have used them on deer and elk at 50 yards t0 2100 yards in various calibers.

The 168 Gr 7mm MK killed a lot of deer coming from my 7mm Mag and 7/300 Weatherby rifles over the years.

Just a thought.
Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.