sierra GK 165gr SPBT in 300WM

Rob96

Is this bullet too fragile for the 300 Win Mag? I currently load for 308 Win and use this bullet. I was wondering if the mag velocities were too high.

Rob- i have no experience in my 300 wm only 30-06. i would say no problem. check with sierra. ron

It's been a while since I've used any bullet in my 300 wm under 180 gr. Mostly use the 180 nosler ac now and they work well. Have some 200 nosler ac that I'm going to try. Also I'm not one of those guys that load for the most speed. Now to your question: I have shot the bullets you are asking about. Had good luck with them and used them on deer sized game with good results. They grouped reasonable well, 1 inch or a little less at 100 yards. This was with a factory rifle with very little load development. But if you're looking for long range results would think you'd be better off moving up to at least 180 grain bullets with a high b.c. and most would probably advise 200 plus grain bullets with a high b.c. Have fun and be safe.

Rob- the 85 sierra bthp in .243 has a low bc but works great. the 165 and 85 are simaliar. a longer bullet will drop less and have less windage at a long range especially. but the 85 sierra do great in every .243 i have shot them in.

If it is deer hunting you are going to be using this bullet for you will be in high cotton. My buddy does A LOT of ammo reloading for people who hunt deer over bean fields in NC and the two most requested bullets are 165 Sierra SPBT or the Nosler Ballistic Tip for the 300 Win Mag.

Rob- i mis read your post the 165 btsp. awesome. i have used it on deer and elk. ron

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.