Sierra Gamechanger?

I got 500 of the 165gr .284. Should be a great deer bullet in 280 Ackley & 7mm mag. Supposed to have quick expansion and heavier jacket to help with penetration. I would guess, or hope, they will be great on deer sized game. Wish the 130 gr. 6.5 bullets we're 140+ grs.

These look promising, love Sierra quality. Someone shoot something quick. We need a report.

Will be ordering some in 6mm/90gr. According to Midway USA they have a .49 G1 BC as compared to the Berger 87gr vld G1 BC of .41. May not matter much, but worth a shot.....or 2. ;)

Not a real big tipped fan, but I do have 50 pieces of 6.5-06 brass prepped ready for loading. I also happen to prefer 130s for this rifle. Might try these in part of the brass but don't see anything that makes me think I have to other than I just want to. Will give them a chance. Will be very interested to see actual weight retention of a recovered bullet.

Last edited:
Scanned several shooting Web sites...seems everyone got the Midway email.

Generated a lot of intrest already.

I like the 130gr 264 bullet. It should be perfect for deer from zero to 500 yards in the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm thinking it will be too heavily built for the Grendel.

If the did make the jacket a bit thicker it should work well at higher velocities.

Got some 6.5s on the way. I have no doubt about the accuracy they will deliver. I am much more interested in weight retention of a recovered bullet. Also curious to see how much, if any jacket/core separation there is. I will try them on a hog first cause I think I will have a better chance to recover the bullet.
I am running right around 3150 fps from my 6.5-06 using a 30 year old recipe I found in an article on the 6.5-06 in the May/June issue of Handloader magazine. With 54.5 gr of IMR-4831 behind most any 130gr bullet I have tried, I get at or very close to the 3150 mark. Accuracy with the 130gr TSX is sub MOA all day. Better hands and eyes than mine, probably better

Is it just me or is Sierra's "Gamechanger" bullets hitting the market at exactly the same time I heard about them, a new and extremely refreshing method of new product introduction? Instead of a year and a half of hype and then the supply drying up 10 minutes after they become available, these new offerings can be had days after the product announcement. All I can say is "wow", thanks Sierra, for not "building product excitement" and totally failing to give us a product. I've killed a fair amount of elk with Sierra Game Kings and if for no other reason, their decency to their customers has convinced me to give these products a go.

Sierra, the only bullet maker to say, "look what we have"... and I can actually "have" it. Well done. That's how you roll a product out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.