sierra game kings?

BUSTINDOGS

Im looking for info as to why the Sierra game king is not a popular long range hunting bullet. I myself like berger and plan to use them, but the price and reputation of sierra is attractive. I more specifically am interested in the 175 grain 7mm Spitzer #1940. At ranges of 700 yards or less in a 7mm rem mag i think this bullet would preform very well. It has a bc of .533 and is of sierra quality.

Bryan Litz measured the true BC of this bullet and many others and the actual number on the 7mm 175gr is very impressive for a standard SPBT hunting bullet. The true BC is actually .594 compared to Sierra's advertised .533! I don't know why this bullet and many other GameKings, including the 200gr .30cal, are not more popular than they are. Especially with the true BCs being higher than advertised.

sierra and hornady shoot just fine... they just aren't the new "super bullet" but they get the job done and some guys would rather have that than the newest bell or whistle... Most of my reloading is done with bullets from red or green boxes with a smattering of nosler...
My new toy is the 180 sierra hpbt in my 7rum... flies true and hits hard; I'm itching to thump a critter with it this fall...

The form factor of the 175 SGK is 1.048 (G1 .579). The form factor of the 168 ABLR is .896 (G1 .649). Both should produce good results out to 700 with a 7 Rem Mag. However, with the possibility of not making a correct wind call the bullet with less lag time will produce less error in wind drift. The 168 ABLR is additionally a good bullet for extended range shooting. I just used the ABLR for comparison. The decision with any bullet ultimately resides with the user but some bullets are more suited for long range use than others.

The only problem with the ABLR is that you may need a faster than normal twist for them to work and they are pretty picey compared to the GameKings.

I will be starting load development with the 168 Berger's soon for my new 7mm rem mag. and I was adding up the cost to shoot this summer and with the price difference of the sierra's I could buy an extra pound of powder for every 200 bullets. its not a substantial savings but it will make a difference for me. With the BC being within .023 of the 168 Berger and being 7 grains heavier that puts it very close as far as how its going to fly. I did some quick calculations and the Berger is about 2" flatter and has 1" less drift in a 10 mph wind at 600 yards then the game king. For me that's peanuts... especially on the wind call, figuring drop is the easy part. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.