Sierra 100gr Prohunter

Dave Schenck

I normally shoot 85gr SMKs in my 243 but these have got frightfully expensive. I can buy 500 Sierra 100gr prohunters at a giveaway price and was wondering if anyone has experience with these bullets out to about 250m? I hear good reports from salesmen but I would like comments from real hunters. Do I buy them or do I cough for the 85gr gamekings? I will not be taking anything beyond 300 yards with these bullets.

Dave,
I don't use either of these in my .243 but I've only had mine about 10 months. I have good luck with the 85gn range also. I had some old Winchester bullets, 85gn Match HPFB, that shot terrific. Had them for years and never tried them. Had no idea they were that good. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Also, pretty much anything from 90gn down to 65gn, I've gotten good accuracy from. Currently shooting the 65gn V-Max with Varget for crows and they're hating me. Don't overlook the 87gn V-Max or 90gn Ballistic Tip.
My dad shot the 100gn Speer BT version (1220) of the Sierra ProHunter and he took deer out past 400yds. Never knew him to miss or have one get up from his .243Win. I think you'd be OK with those ProHunters. If it were me I'd get them if the price was right. JohnnyK.

Dave,

100g Pro-Hunters are really good hunting bullets and they shoot supprisingly flat out to 300yds. After that a Boattail is superior due to decreased drag. Both are cup and core bullets. Lots of "old timers" say a flat base bullet will actually hold together more as the core is better seated in the base of the bullets.

I don't think there is much diffrence in the two for hunting purposes and holding together. I actually use a 100g Gameking in my .243 AI and they do very well. so far the rifle has accounted for 2 Muley bucks and 1 was within 100yds the other was 300yds. Both went right down.

I have used 150g Pro-hunters in a .30-06 AI with wonderful results. they are definately a good hunting bullet.

If the price is right, I wouldn't pass on it especially since reloading supplies are becoming harder to find and purchase.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts